What if you could live forever?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by astutzman, Sep 6, 2006.

If medical science made it possible to live forever, would you want to?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I just read in the news about the FDA approving a new artificial human heart that can replace some transplants, and it got me thinking. The way that science is moving, someday it may be possible to live forever by just replacing our old organs as they wear out. The question is, though, would anyone want to live forever?

What do you guys on the BOC think about this issue: If you could live on earth forever, would you? If yes, why? If not, why not, and also what would make you change your mind?

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I choose NO, I live my life as I choose ,I work hard ,Play harder, and I don't want to have to work for an eternity .Very good post Brother

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree with gcarlin on this one i dont think i would want to live forever inless the fishing got better lol

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if thats what god had intended then thats how it would be. Besides we have already reached the earths carrying capacity. The birth to death ratio is phenominally high. There just wouldnt be enough room/food.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    certainly i want to live forever. not on this planet. that is a physical impossibility as the earth is temporary.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    There is a much better place than here. Wether I get to get in when the time comes is another question all together.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think I seen it in a movie or something a guy talking about what it's like to live forever. You see so many people that you love that have to die and with all the pain this would cause I think you would be better off dead. Thats not how it goes but I think yall get the idea.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think you're thinking of "Highlander". (DANG! I've playing the movie chain thread with laidbck too much:lol: !)

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Absolutely not. There are all ready too many people I can't stand.

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    read John 3:16 and Romans 10:8-13

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

simply put..............................................NO.............................

12. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Nope! Nada, No way Josa!

_

13. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Been through some rough experiences and not everything is perfect but all in all I have a pretty good life. Much better than I deserve. I enjoy most of each day even though at times I don't know where we will get all the money to pay the bills. Would I want to live like this forever, NO and I don't plan to. Here anyway.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Fishinpals said it all.

15. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Interestingly, I used to live with a medical student who worked in a lab researching stopping the ageing process. The research was two fold, one was to study what makes someone die, what I mean is that if you get shot in the heart, how do the cells in your toes know to stop living, they have stored energy to go on for quite a while if they didn't get the death/shut down signal. The freakier part of her research was trying to identify and then block the hormones that trigger the ageing process to begin. If they could do that, you could live forever (or at least until your fatally wounded). It is widely agreed that such a breakthrough could potentially be on the horizon.

Now, from a practical standpoint, the earth would overpopulate quickly, the only solution would be to control poulation by eliminating childbearing. Than would be a mighty bleak existence in my opinion, stopping the circle of life in its tracks.

From a personal standpoint, I'd not want to out live my kids, then again, I'd not want to die before 80 or 90 either (providing I don't live longer than my kids). In short, my answer is I would not like to live forever (on earth) but would like to have a full life while I'm here.

16. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I say NO...
    Unless of course I all of a sudden had more money than Bill Gates, could remain as devastatingly handsome as I am now, it was always perfect weather for catfishin, and the cats were ALWAYS bitin! If these conditions were met, I'd be happy to live forever. :cool2:

17. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Nope.... I got too many good friends and relatives in Heaven that I want to see again. Besides, I bet the fishing up there is to die for! :lol:

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Forever? Define Forever!

Time is just an illusion!

19. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

No, not the way society is now. Bring in a clean up crew to change the way people interact with one another and the environment then maybe...You can upgrade the heart, rearrange the cellular structure, but all of these are physical changes. Change mankind's zest for power and domination then give me a buzz. Otherwise we'll see you on the other side hopefully...

20. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    overrated IMO; things sound pretty good on the otherside.