What if I catch a trophy fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by SGTREDNECK, Jul 18, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok I have a question or two. If I am fishing and I catch a fish I know is going to be a state record or world record fish, WHAT DO I DO?
    What if its 02:30 am? How do I get the fish weighed and safely returned to the water that late at night, or even in the day time I am clueless on what to do. I think this thread could help save some throphy fish from needlessly dieing if we knew what to do. Can someone help us out on this. I am asking for tennessee, but this could be used in any state. We need to have the right info with us at all times, It could have save the fish's life. Thanks Andrew

2. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    first thing would be safely transporting him- because you have to use a certified scale !! you could use krogers if they would let you!! LOL i dont really know if the twra has a portable they can bring or not!! they probably wouldnt get ouy of bed for it:smile2:

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    wondering the same things myself about wut to do in missouri

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Andrew,
    Make sure you have the phone numbers of the appropriate people to call, DNR or whoever it is for TN. Does your boat have a big enough live well or if you fish from the shore do you have a tank in your truck? If you fish alone you are probably going to need help to handle a fish that big safely so you don't hurt it. So again, have the number of a bud you can call who will help you anytime, day or night. Don't weigh it by the bottom jaw; fish that big aren't built to hang vertically out of the water.
    In my opinion, the well being of the fish is paramount. I would rather turn it loose in good shape and have my buddies witness it than have the official record and the fish die because it took all day or night to find a game warden and a certified scale.J.M.H.O...W

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishRec_PDF/INSTR.pdf
    I think like Winston said you just have to always be prepared if you want to make sure the fish can be CPRed..Personally if I caught a fish that I thought might break the record and could'nt get anyones attention to officially weight the fish and release it I'd just weigh it myself take all the measurements document it with photos and release it of my own accord..My concience could'nt handle catching a fish that large and probably that old and not let it live to fight another day..

6. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Don't be afraid to call your local agent at any time of the night. Trust me, they love their job and will be just as excited as you about a potential record fish.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree my first concern would be for the fish. Even tho I would like to have a confirmed record, the fish's life would be more important than my name on a piece of paper. I would probally just take a few photos and let him go, try and safely get a weight and let it live to fight another day. Thanks Andrew

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Would probably be a good idea to get the information from the state your fishing ahead of time on their procedures. Some states it is close to if not impossible to get a fish certified and keep it alive for release. Pa is one of those states. You go 1 state south to Maryland, and you can call them, get the fish checked and certified and will be able to release it alive. Seems I remember somebody saying Ohio might be another state where it is hard to release alive also, i might be wrong on that. But not all states have the same precedures.

9. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Well I would say call Nashville and find out who the TWRRA agents working in your area. Get to know them there just people that love wildlife and would love to be the officer that weight the (state or world) record fish I know I would. I work for a Sheriffs Office and its a little easier for me because I work with em but still it might not hurt to at least give it a try.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with that but you know what, its hard to get to know these guys when they seem to never be around..Back home in Louisiana I knew a lot of the agents by first name but here its different.I've been here over three years and not once have I had a TWRA agent stop to talk to me or check for my license or anything..Coming from a place where almost every time I went out fishing I was stopped by an agent it seem odd to me to never see any here..I called TWRA about 5 months ago about a boat registration question and just a couple days ago I got a response from them..It took them 5 months to get back to me..That response time is uncalled for..I've been calling them and sending e-mails to them quite often to get them to put some more presence in the area I fish and I get little or no response..Alls I can do is keep the pressure on them and nag them into action but I find that the TWRA around here is seriously lacking some good leadership..

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A BOC member here in IN caught a channel that smoked the state record just yesterday but turned it loose before it died. He tried to get the authorities out but couldnt. Tell 'em ya have a SR bass and you're going to release it in ten minutes.

12. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Ok Sgt. I talked to the TWRA they said if a fish happened to be caught that would beat the state or world record is to contact your region TWRA office. Then ask for the fish hatchery in your area they have to come out and weight the fish and document the type of fish caught. The hard part is to keep the fish alive until they arrive to do the paper work. Once the fish dies it starts to dehydrate even if kept in water. If frozen the fish would have to be thawed and the dehydration process will began and you will lose weight. The agent I talked to said there have been fish caught that would have beaten the state record but fish died during transport or they were frozen and lost weight. I hope this helps if you need any more info just PM and I will do what I can to help.

13. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    There are plenty of certified scales close by anywhere you are in TN. 99.9% of all game check-in locations have certified scales. Thats basically every country gas station or market. If its in the middle of the night; good luck to you. I dont know a game warden one that would come out in the middle of the night over a fish.

14. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Start duck hunting or turkey hunting and see how many you run into out on the water. I bet you will get tired of showing the same one your license everyday.

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

You'll need to have a couple of lanterns lit providing plenty of light.. get all girths, weight, measurements.. good full pics. Then send them to the TWRA and they will review it and get back with you.:wink:

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Most of the name brand digital fishing scales will certify. They will run it through some test and check the accuracy. If it passes they put a certification sticker on it. It cost about $30 to certify one around here. It is better that running around trying to find a certified scale.

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Where do you get this done?

18. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't let him drown, I know that sounds funny but a cat will drown quick and when he does ,two things he's dead and more than likely he is ruined . Make sure you keep him in fresh running water,lots of oxygen, If you have to wait to long to get him legal he may lose a pound or two trowing up all that shit he has pulled off the bottom. I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but As most know I came from a commercial fishing family.I have seen many people carring their fish in a bucket full of water and wonder why they died and pink giles.. Just trying to help ,don't get carried away finding where to make your catch legal and forget the fish... he would actually do better rapped in news paper soaked in water. maybe add some ice.

19. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My local TWRA agent pretty much said that I'd have a hard time, and more than likely not get someone out to certify a fish so I'd just have to freeze it:sad2:. I got the impression that they really didn't care anyway:sad2:. According to my fishing regulations book you have to weigh the fish on certified scales have another witness present that is not the owner of the scales and freeze the fish until it can be later identified. That'd be you, another witness and a witness that owns a set of certified scales. Be almost impossible to do and keep one alive. I think that if I were ever lucky or fortunate enough to catch one I'd attach a large bouy that I keep in the boat to the fish and try to do the least amount of damage possible, then turn him/her loose until back-up arrived. Good luck on your quest for the big one.

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS

Look in the yellow pages or online for a place that services and sells scales. I am talking about a place that sells and services scales for like truck stops and grain elevators. There are more of these businesses than small scale repair places. Most of the scales they work on have to be certified, so they can do it in house.

A quick search on line in Tennessee I found, J.A King & Company in Chattanooga and TGA Scale & Supply, Inc. also in Chattanooga. Or just go to an elevator or truck stop close by and ask them who calibrates their scale.