What if all paylakes closed?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Apr 7, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know most of us , including me dont appove of how paylakes get there big fish..They get them from public waters.

But think of this I ask, Ohio has many, many paylakes, probably over 100, or alot more? I know of 30-40 within an hrs drive of my house...On any given night from spring thru fall you can drive past these lakes and see people fishing side by side around the lake, On the bigger ponds probably 2-3 hundred people.

So I ask you this, if there was no paylakes, do you think these catfisherman would all then head to our rivers? And make our rivers more crowded than what they already are?..Somthing to think about.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Some would, some fish pay lakes because of the access.

If they all closed, we could sneak in and catch the fish and put them back in the river.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Sounds to me like there are to many pay lakes there...... here in Southern Calif. we have maybe 5 pay lakes..... its sad..... crowded and side by side....

I can't handle the "side by side" stuff..... but with the price of gas....
    it's the only choice if you dont have a boat and dont have good access to the rivers...

I dont feel as though the fish should be allowed to go from the public rivers to the "pay lakes"..... should come from commercial ponds and hatcheries...IMO

Bayrunner Ray

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The waters are already crowded. I've often thought about cattin gettin big. A sport that used to be frowned on and was left for the idiots to do is now gettin chuck full of everybody and thier mothers. Got mixed emotions on this one. Kinda liked it when nobody did it. Kinda miss the looks ya used to get when ya said ya was fishin for cats. LOL! Well. Like most things when cattin hits the "BIG TIME" and ts close, folks will find a way to ruin it just like most other things. HMMMMM! I think I'm gonna just start targeting eels.:wink: Lets see how many "YAHOOS" wanna do that.:smile2:

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack im not sure about where your at but around me less then 10 years ago i can think of 5 paylakes that were less then 8 miles from my house now only 2 are still in business .I hope that is a trend that is going on everywhere else in the state.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    For one I think Mellon would be out of a place to fish :smile2:, no really if I were going to be fishing once or twice a year and wanted to take my kids someplace then I can actually see why paylakes (the good ones) are worth it.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I honestly don't recall ever seein a pay-lake. I guess if thats where a person wants to fish thats their right, the same as fishin a road ditch. I don't feel it's right to stock these places with fish taken from the public waters that sportsmen help maintain with revenues from taxes and charge folks to come catch them:angry:I also feel they should raise their own fish and if they ain't big enuff, oh well.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of only one paylake around here, and it closed down a couple years back i hear. rollo

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i like pay lakes good money:wink:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    you would like paylakes if you tried it good money and lots of fun and meet nice people

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I say keep the pay lakes, just switch them from catfish, to bass, musky, and walleye. All the fish will still have "winning tags" and they can still be packed shoulder to shoulder. Y'all can still win some decent money. Only then the bass and musky guys will have the fits cause poachers are taking their "public" fish to sell to the pay lakes. And they wil be outlawed within a year lol.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If I wanted to be that crowded when I fish, I would tell everyone where my secret spot is at. Paylakes are like fishing in an aquarium in my opinion. No skill needed.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I wouldn't care if they closed them all. There's at least 7 within 50 miles of me and I know two commerial fisherman that catch large flatheads and channels in hoop nets in the Ohio river and sell to these pay lakes which makes them common theives in my book.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If all paylakes were closed, I wouldn't be abel to catch 50lb flatheads on hot dogs!

Paylakes are good places to fish if your are elderly, a little kid, or disabled! Especially in flatheading, some of our spots are spots that requires long treks, wading, rock climbing, and even swimming. Not too safe for kids, elderly, and disabled to do.

Paylakes offers a safer environment for these clientele.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I wonder if its the same 2 that I know. Are they Brothers? I don't agree with it but what can we do??? I know they pull LOTS of Flatties out every trip!!!:angry:

Blacky,
    Excellent post,
    Thats 1 reason why I like to go to them(rarely). I had 1 buddy that has passed away and they were his main source of fishing, If not for them he wouldn't have been able to enjoy the sport that he loved so much!!!

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know its pretty simple what the state should do for illegal practices involved in obtaining fish to take care of this growing problem. all they would have to do is enforce a tagging system that is mandatory for all paylakes to operate. tagging each fish with a special number, and making the operators of the paylake to keep a blog on each fish, and where it was purchased from. the state could send undercover people into these paylakes and observe the fish, and the practices being run by each of these. implement harsh fines for neglegence, more less weeding the bad apples out. this is just my opinion.....rollo

17. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i cant really say im for paylakes, ive fished some before and never really got into it, i do see the pros and cons of paylaking and there are some really nice paylakes around that have a great enviroment for families and kids and elder and so on, but the ones that continue to practice bad ethics of fishing are the ones that give the ones that are great places to go to a bad name, it only takes a few, if paylakes were shut down or majority of them went out of business the rivers and lakes would be over populated with fisherman, the problem with that is would they be able to fish the river systems properly, no leaving trash behind, trying to crowd in on other fisherman, i have one friend that fishes paylakes all the time and thats mainly all he fishes, took him to one of my spots last year and he had no clue how to river fish didnt even know where to start or how, basicly had to give him the 5 minute lesson on how to river fish and throughout the night me and my other friend tried to explain to him the differences, and we had to inform him that not every night ur going to catch fish, that was the last night he went with us to the rivers.

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I agree with Rollo .... I have nothing against paylakes and believe they have their place .... but it does upset me knowing that some of the people that fish the rivers and lakes catch the big fish from there and sell them to the pay lakes .... If anyone knows for certain of pay lakes that are buying river caught fish and who is selling them if you will PM me with the info ... I will try and get something done about it ... Need facts ... not fanicies .... Garry- :cool2:

19. tacraft61

tacraft61 New Member

State:
    Powell, Ohio, U
    yes i think the rivers and lakes would be slightly more crowded but the sellers and buyer's of the fish taken from the waters would at a minimum.the advantage to all theses other people fishig pulic waterway's would be the money taken from liscence fees.also fish populations would not be raped to the point of stupidity

20. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would say that for the real die hard pay lakers, if they are willing to put out cash every weekend to avoid doing work and scoping out their own spots, they're not gunna put in the effort of scoping out their owns spots no matter what.

don't get me wrong, hell if you got kids and you want to have a nice time in a safer environment, pay lakes are the ticket but other than that, like stated before, it's like shooting deer in a fenced in yard, just not fair.