What I think are GOOD beads

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by twaskom, Mar 12, 2020.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    If it works for you, do it. What is wrong with a cane pole. lol

Why would I want to be cheap?

Dennis J. Aitken and KENCAMP like this.
  2. DanL

DanL Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Dan
    I use the soft plastic tube beads and the plastic pony beads. the hole in them is big and the bead slides down over the knot so that the weight never touches the knot and the impact is transferred to the swivel instead. I buy them in bulk bags from Hobby Lobby for a little of nothing and give the bags minus some for me to my Granddaughter. She's happy. I'm happy and the knot is happy.

Dennis J. Aitken and typer181 like this.

3. bhday

bhday Member Supporting Member

State:
    KC Mo
    Name:
    Bruce Day
    Whisker Seeker claims their's is a fiber optic product, not plastic or rubber

Dennis J. Aitken likes this.
  4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I don't think the catfish use fiber optics.

eastforker, Cuda and Dennis J. Aitken like this.
  5. Dennis J. Aitken

Dennis J. Aitken New Member

State:
    WI
    Name:
    Dennis
    ^^^ Priceless ^^^

Cuda likes this.
  6. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Pretty sure they are cable firewall grommets used to protect cable going through a control box. How they got them yellow, I do not know, but I'm also sure if you buy enough of anything you get the color you want.

7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    They could be grummets for fiber optics. I think I know why they made them yellow like gold.

8. Hurst11

Hurst11 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    They should make their own rubber beads as well I’m not a fan of a hard bead. I do like the color of the ws beads tho

9. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I was given some new ones to try they are 8mm rubber beads from Dales Tackle. I havent tried them yet but here is some pictures....they were at katmasters displaying there new line 2.jpg 3.jpg

eastforker likes this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yep, If you get team Catfish bumpers it is $7.00 for 10 instead of $11.00 for 200. I don't mind paying for what I need but I also have an idea of what a fair price is.

Sam they look good but what was the price. For 10mm beads like I displayed above the price was right at $10.00. 12mm size was $11.and change.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    3.49 for 50 i think....

13. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Sam those beads are a little soft but have worked just fine so far for me. I haven't used any thing heavier than a 4 oz no roll.

twaskom likes this.
  14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom

That is a reasonable price. Appears to be a good product.

15. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I use bumpers because it just makes sense to me that a lead weight banging against a knot on a brass swivel would be hard on the knot, has anyone ever had a lead weight beat a knot to the breaking point?

Brackish*Water likes this.
  16. bhday

bhday Member Supporting Member

State:
    KC Mo
    Name:
    Bruce Day
    I fished for years, along with a lot of my Bud drinking friends and we never had any issues. I started using them because it couldn't hurt to do so

Brackish*Water likes this.
  17. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Without a bead using mono I have had them bend swivels but haven't noticed the Palomar knot being damaged probably because I lose the whole rig when the knot does gets damaged.
    Never had any Palomar knot problems with braid even though the swivel was almost crimped shut.
    Improved Clinch knot with mono doesn't hold up it nicks the knot bad.
    Then again I mostly have used 3 to 4 ounce weights.
    I wouldn't trust any heavier weights without some sort of bead or sinker slide to protect the knot.

twaskom likes this.
  18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Stacee, my observations are about the same. I know every one has their own way of doing things and that is the way it should be. When I was young, many moons ago, we didn't use beads at all. Not even sure there were bead being used anywhere then. But we were also fish small lakes with one ounce sinkers. No need for heavy weights.

Now I use 4 to 8 ounces of weight all the time fishing the rivers I can get to. I will say I have not had any problems with knots being damaged causing the line to break, but I also tie all new leaders and tie a new knot holding my sinker and swivel to the main line each trip. So any damage should be nipped in the bud so to speak.

But then I look at it a different way also. I do not get a line broken very often. I would actually say it occurs very seldom. When the line does break, 99% of the time it is the leader so all I loose is a hook. Since I don't break off often and I can get what I think are good beads in a quantity of 200 for just over $10 it is not what I would even consider an expense. A person can be tight or what he refers to as CHEAP and still not consider the purchase of a bag of beads as a huge violation of his cheapness. lol

So I am happy and others could be also WITH OR WITHOUT the use of beads.

About time to fish.
    tight lines

SteveMcK and eastforker like this.
  19. Hurst11

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    Beads are a good and cheap piece of mind insurance. Rubber beads for me also help keep the heavy sinker from deforming the eye of the swivel the knot is tied to wich can affect swivel performance and possibly lead to line twist wich in current is no bueno. I know since I’ve started using the rubber ones my swivels stay in better shape and haven’t had any shape deformation. I use spro power swivels wich I believe is very good one and I’m amazed at how strong they are for their size and seem to last Even longer using the rubber beads. So in my case the beads pretty much pay for themselves since I use less swivels.

eastforker and twaskom like this.
  20. Hurst11

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    Bag is 3.49 for 50 beads Not the best bargain but there’s a bait shop fairly close to me that has em in stock so I grab a bag every so often 50 beads last me a good long while upload_2020-3-21_10-34-38.png These are the ones I’m using and I like em pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    twaskom, SteveMcK and eastforker like this.