What I do when I am going to fish a new area

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by crazycat1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One thing i like to do when fishing a new area is narrow down the search. To do this simply set some limb lines. I load the limbs up with a variety of baits in different fishing depths along the banks. To date this has been a very effective tool for myself. I usually only do this when I know there are big shovels present and I have no idea where to catch them. I am an impatient person by nature and I do not like to waste my valueable time. Does anyone else do this?

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know of others who do that, personally that would take the fun out of it for me. No pun intended though, if it works for ya then go for it. Limb lines have been a touchy subject around here before...:cool2::wink:

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    If I can i'll get some map views, I'll do a lot of drifting, paying attention to my electronics. side imaging comes in nice for this. If I see some interesting stuff, I'll set a waypoint and come back later. But drifting has worked for me, at least in the rivers i'll fish with current. I'm far from an expert. But there is always something nice about trying out new waters I've never fished. I'll stick to the basics and don't get to fancy.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just enjoy fishing rod and reel, and spending the time to find them. It is very rewarding to me when I catch a big flathead....rollo

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    scout the area you fish find landmarks structure rip rap eddies timber railroad tressels bridge pylons low dams stuff like that know the river you fish like the back of your hand rick

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That can be true to a certain extent. Here on the Ohio one period of high water can take a river you knew like your back yard and turn in into a real unfamiliar place all of the sudden. Lots of holes, sturcture, etc have been washed away and knews ones are born. It can keep you on your toes for sure. The best way I have found is to try and pattern what the fish will do during certain water conditions. I have found other than a couple spots, I can go to a spot one week and catch some 40 and 50lb fish, and go back for a year straight and they are gone every time..But hey thats what keeps us coming back right?

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup, i do that same thing in new areas. it can tell you a whole lot more than you though it would!