What hooks shouldn't I consider purchasing?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dreamcatcher, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

We always start threads about the hooks that are considered good for different catfishing situations, so I thought I would get everyone's opinion on hooks that are supposedly designed for catfishing that you don't like. Give us a practical reason why you wouldn't fish with it even if I gave a box to you. It is my belief that most of the manufacturers make good hooks, so there aren't too many bad ones out there. However, I am sure there are a few that slip through the cracks. In an attempt to save the novice (or experienced) fisherman some hard earned cash give us your list of hooks that you feel are not up to standard. Don't just blanket a manufacturer unless you feel all their hooks are substandard (which is hardly the case). Give us a model number or hook type...

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    any and every circle hook made by any company , these are fish freindly designed to prevent harm to the fish made to hook the fish in the lip . well let me tell you that big fish has got a lip thats as big around as 2 or more fingers if you cant get 2 fingers in the gap you will most likely miss that big fish . take a circle hook place it in your hand make a fist around it and pull it out with the other hand it most likely will not hook you ,

you wouldnt dare do that with a j-hook

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After 50+ years of fishing,I have lost thousands of hooks.Many were Stainless steel or plated to resist rust.Most of those hooks are still out there waiting to kill or injure.This was WRONG.I will never buy such hooks again.I will not buy hooks that are rust resistant.I will only buy and use hooks that will rust out when lost in fresh or salt water.peewee-williams

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    very good point peewee , reps for that.

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

So Chuck, would the answer be to go to a larger circle hook, like one of those sea circles for larger cats? This line of thought is in line with what you are saying about lip thickness...Also, what size catfish are you basically referring to? I know 8/0 Gama circle hooks work extremely well for smaller fish (anything up to 20 pounds) as I rarely loose a fish once hooked, but an 8/0 may not be enough if a fish is a certain size. What size would that be?

6. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    great point peewee i never thought of that and you may have just got me to stop using stainless hooks and charles i agree with you circle hooks are junk i used them for a summer and lost more fish than i caught or atleast that is how it seemed

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Point Peewee That never crossed my mind. I agree and Thanks.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    That's a good point & also the reason that I only use those type of Hooks (Hooks that will rust out :wink: ). I do alot of CPR (Catch-Photo-Release), but alot of times you can hang into one that will get lucky and break you off when fighting it. And when that happen I would like to know that the fish don't have to spend alot of it's life with a hook in its mouth.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have to egree with peewee rusting is the only way a hook dissapears plus who wants to step on one while wading barefoot?

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Circles work with any size fish...take a look at the ones used on big saltwater fish. But, for them to work, you have to let them do the joby, not yank the hook out of the mouth before the fish hooks himself. As to hooks never to buy, how about those sold as catfish hooks right next to the prepared baits? Or, those sold in a kit as catfish hooks in various sizes?

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    very good question vic , but heres the delima with circle hooks you have to choose what size range you want to catch , to get the gap size im talking about out of a circle hook you would need a 12/0 or bigger and i beleive they only come in stainless and will cost you in the neighber hood of 2.50 each . i have some junk 10/0 circles red gamas the gap in these hooks is from point to shank only a 1/2 " i have 9/0 j-hooks with a gap of 1 1/8" . circles are designed to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth that limits them to 2locations to be hooked a j-hook on the other hand will hook a fish any where it is extracted are you following me here , say the fish picks up your bait and runs away from you and the line forces the hook straight out the front of the mouth ( not ) the corner where designed , guess what you just missed the fish . larger fish have larger teeth these teeth serve as a guide when line falls in the grooves between the teeth the hook is forced to follow that line path a circle (once agian ) is not designed to hook fish in this manner . j's will not only hook a fish in the corner but any where it comes out of the mouth , with a j it is also capable of catching the drive by hit from a fish that strikes on the run , you dont have to worry as to wether or not the hook has turn the right direction its always in the right direction . just a few thoughts on my knowledge lol how vast it may be

12. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yeah i hate circle hooks, lost more bait on circles than any other hook type made. im like J hooks or Khale style hooks since the fish will normally hook himself with a feirce enough strike or you can hook him your self if he is just tap tap taping on your bait.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would not use a circle.but thats just me