Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I had a couple hooks get straightened out last Friday and have decided to replace the hooks with something stronger. I was using nightcrawlers on #4 snell hooks by Eagle claw. Never thought I would hook into something big enough to straighten out my hooks. At least not with crawlers on them. Must have been a blue cause we caught a nice one that night. At any rate, do you recommend a circle hook. Give me some suggestions. I have seen the catfish cheapo hooks at WM. They look sturdy but does anybody have experience with them.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Those cheap Walmart hooks are probably ok for fish less than 20 pounds. I remember a few days ago someone on here posted they had a big cat break one of those same hooks. Are they in a square plastic container labeled CATFISH with a photo of a channel cat on the label? About 40 hooks for $2?

Guys, I had a couple hooks get straightened out last Friday and have decided to replace the hooks with something stronger. I was using nightcrawlers on #4 snell hooks by Eagle claw. Never thought I would hook into something big enough to straighten out my hooks. At least not with crawlers on them. Must have been a blue cause we caught a nice one that night. At any rate, do you recommend a circle hook. Give me some suggestions. I have seen the catfish cheapo hooks at WM. They look sturdy but does anybody have experience with them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use 8/0 to 10/0 hooks with bigger eye's because I use 230 pound test nylon string for the line. I ordered some from a guy on ebay and they have worked well. They will hold a fish up to 50 pounds easy. The ones I ordered were EAGLE CLAW # L2004 in 10/0 size. We started the year using some smaller wired hooks and they have held on some 30-40 pound fish. But have had them straitened out three or four times. But would guess that they were striatened out by a log. One way to tell if it was a fish though is if it was wound up like the fish spun it up. If it wasn't spun up I would guess log bent it. If it was spun up well you had a really nice one on there that got away. Good luck. Hope this helped.
BB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know some people are against trotlines. I dont keep anything big and I usually only bring hom enough for one or two meals. My dad and grandad ran trotlines and I will do the same. Its a great way to put fish in the frying pan for my family. BTW, I only run a trotline maybe twice a month. Just cant never find the time to get out. Blues I generally let go.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can't worry about the people that don't like trotlining. That was just one of the way's I was taught to catch fish. And now I am teaching my sons. As long as you do it on the up side then I see no problem with it.
BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.