What hooks do you use??????

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Just wondering what type of hooks every one uses.

Circle, Kahle, Regular, Offset???:confused2::confused2:

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use a 10/0 Laser sharp kahle by Eagle Claw. Seems to work good for me.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i still tend to use j hooks i guess old habits are hard to break although i been using circles at times

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    100% circle for me .since i learned to use these hooks i like the fact that the fish do the catching themselfs you just hold on and wind them in

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles for me. They work great except for when the fish are hitting very lightly.

They put fish in the boat. Kick back in your chair, relax, the fish hooks itself, get up and start reeling them in, my kind of catfishing.:wink:

A buddy keeps harrassing me (TONY) to use those 7/0 Eagle Claw Laser Sharp Kahle's, they are great hooks also and can hook themselves or allow a hookset. I stick with my circle's to P*SS him off!:smile2:

65 or 80lb Power Pro for my main line. The zero stretch helps the circle hook set. Mono leader of a slightly lighter test for abrasion resistance at the business end, and so it will break before the power pro on a snag. Really light (25lb) line for the sinker drop as it is usually what snags and you get most of your rig back.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Gamagatsu (sp) circle hooks only for me. I have never had a fish get gut hooked with one of them, always hooked in the corners of the mouth. Not a big thing if you keep all your fish, but if you believe in CPR, they are great! I do know of some folks who bend the pointed end of the hook so as to offset it, sort of like a kahle. They swear by it and are much better catfishers than I am.

Circles are also great for my jugs, because by not having to "set" the hook, I have much better catch rate.

For those unfamiliar with circles, never, I repeat, never "set" the hook when your getting a bite. Just pick up the rod, and steadily start reeling the line in. The hook will lodge itself in the mouth corners. If you set the hook, you'll pull it right out of their mouth.

Edit: Just saw your post Skip. Like you, I use the Power Pro 80 lb for the same reason.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    For me, it depends on how the fish are biting. If they are biting good and are hitting the bait and running, I use the 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. If the fish are really hitting hard, like that of a freight train :wink:, I use 16/0 circle hooks. Never lost a fish on one of those 16/0 hooks :wink:.

If the fish are not "taking" the bait and are simply "playing" with it, I will go to a 6/0 or 8/0 Kahle hook or a regular octopus J-hook. Usually try a different style hook on all three of my rods till I find the one that has the best success rate. That goes for hook size too.

I too use 80 pound power pro, 100 pound mono leader and 40 pound sinker line. (I have found that anything lighter for the sinker line just doesn't hold up well and you start donating sinkers) Polamar Knot on everything!

8. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I like 7 or 8 kahle hooks i like setting the hook I give Skip sh##t about using circle hooks:smile2: but they really work well too its really what ever you perfer.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh yeah, Rat, Polamar Knot for all of the rig. I, however, use 60 lb dacron for my leader & 30 lb Big Game for the sinker line, if I am set up that way. Anymore, I just put the NoRoll on the main line because I so rarely fish in areas where the sinker gets snagged a lot.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I started off with no-rolls and have a crapload of molds all the way to a custom 16oz no-roll mold that cost me $100 but changing the sinker requires a re-tie which is a pain when you are moving around a lot into different current conditions. Plus I found that they will abrade the line also so you have to keep a close eye on it. I now use a sinker drop with bank sinkers up to 20oz. The sinker drop is a loop that threads through the eye and back over the sinker. Can install, remove or change them out in seconds.

Thats what works for me. Lots of folks are better fishermen than I am but thats what I do.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  12. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    TeamCat fish sinker slides work great for fast sinker change. The way Skip does it is pretty fast and works really well to but hes a PRO:smile2::smile2: hes still trying to teach me and piperat:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:LMAO. SKIP did you take your name off the skunk list?

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Haven't gotten around to it yet. Was hoping to blow myself off the dreaded list in a big way. BIG BIG WAY, but am lucky to just catch a few this year so far.:embarassed:

21.90 lbs she was, big enough for now but surely will be replaced by a more solid entry.:eek:oooh:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    3 Way Slip Rigs, and NOTHING BUT 9 and 10 Ott Gamakatsu Octopus J Hooks with the offset eye! :wink:

The Team Catfish Double Action Circles work great on the Sippi Too.

15. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I also use Gamakatsu octopus hooks 90% of the time.The other 10%,I use Kahle.Normal size is 7-10/0 for the octopus,5-7/0 for the Kahle.

16. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Well thanks fo all the info guys. I have been using a 7/0 circle so I guess the hook is not the problem.:wink: If i can ever find a bite I should be alright as far as the hook goes.

I was thinking about the sinker change thingy yesterday while we were moving around the river and I was wondering if any of you have ever rigged your sinker with a leader and a large size snap swivel so you could unclip and change out quickly.

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The drop loop I use allows for a quick change of sinkers with no extra hardware to get fouled. A big snap swivel would work also but it seems the more hardware on the line, the more potential tangled messes in the current.

SPRO power swivels tangle less also. They are small, spin very easily and the #2 size is rated for 235lbs test. Might incorporate those into your rig. About $12 for 50 of them.

18. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Skip
    You got a pic of that loop thingy. I would like to see that set up.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No pics.

I tie the main braided line to the top eye of the SPRO power swivel. I then also tie my sinker drop to the top eye using 25 lb test, just use your favorite knot.

So far you just have a single string 12" long or so....with me?

Tie a granny knot in that sinker line about an inch from the swivel eye.

Tie a granny knot at the tag end.

Take that tag end and tie a granny knot around the sinker line above the first knot that is an inch below the swivel. Pull tight and the knot will slip until the "tag-end" knot stops it.

Now you have a loop. With me?????

Pinch the bottom of the loop together and insert through the sinker eye...... then the loop goes over the whole sinker. Pulling it tight will cinch the loop on the eye of the sinker.

To remove the sinker, pull on the end of the loop and pull the sinker back through the loop and you are free. Takes seconds.

I tie my mono leader and hook to the bottom eye of the swivel. Make your hook leader longer than your sinker drop to keep tangles at a minimum.

Hope that makes sense.

20. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    8/0 & 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles for me in blood red color. I also use SPRO swivels and it helps to use a glass carolina bead just above my swivel so that my weight doesn't smash my 65lb PowerPro Improved Clinch Knot.