What hooks do you use on bank or trotlines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by mcseal2, Jul 27, 2009.

What type hook do you use on bank/limb/trotlines

1. Standard J-hooks

2. King Kahle hooks

3. Eagle Claw Circle Sea hooks

4. Other circle hooks

5. Hooks not listed

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just curious what everyone liked for set-line hooks. I have tried many and for now am happy with the Eagle Claw King Kahle hooks, 8/0 for standard lines and 10/0 for big bait in really good looking spots. I haven't had one bend out yet that I think was a fish, and I like the sharp point and wide gap for hooking larger bait. I also release many of my fish and I don't seem to hook any more deep than I did with circles.

If you post rely's, please include what species cats you are targeting and with what type and size of bait.

Thanks!

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the J hooks 3/0 because I fish for eating size channels. I only set a trotline and limb lines about once a year. We use cut shad and small black perch (Green Sunfish).

3. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I to like the eagle claw king khale hook but i use the 4/0 because i dont catch very many bigger fish usually im catching eater size while im trying for the big boys hahahahahaha:big_smile: but when im having a great day for size ill go up to a much bigger 8/0 so that the bigger fish can be released:roll_eyes::wink:

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use Gamakatsu Circle 6/0 or 7/0 and Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite in 5/0.

5. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I just used King Kat 12/0 circles for the first time this past weekend. I was running 4-6" bluegill and sunfish and they worked perfect! Every hookset was right in the corner of the flatheads' mouth. I was even able to catch a few eater size channel with that size hook with no problems. I'm hooked on the King Kat circles (yes:wink: the pun was intended)!

6. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Hay Heath, do you find an advantage to the khale over the circle, or is it just personal preference? Anyone else feel free to chime in.

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I tried the circle sea hooks on lines, and while the fish I caught were hooked in the corner of the mouth, I wasn't happy with my hooking percentage. I used Gamma circles on rod and reel for a while, and had trouble with an active bait, or a fish sticking the point back into the bait. I hook baits through the center of the tail so baits are harder to pull off, and with this hook location the kahles have given me the best percentage so far. With only being able to run 8 bankpoles per person, I want the best hook-up ratio I can get. When the flats were really hitting last spring and the spring before we averaged 40% for a week each year. I had never done that before with other hooks so I have stuck with them. We also got a better boat/motor then and started doing more scouting and fishing better water with better sets, so that had a lot to do with our success as well. I am always looking for a better "cattrap" though, so I thought I'd start this post and see what others are using. I've never seen the king kat circles, are they heavy wire? I like using the lightest wire I can get away with because I think they stick a fish better. I never go lighter than 8/0 king kahles because of the size bait/fish I want but I like that wire diameter.

8. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i use bass minnows/crawldads and a 2-4/O circle hook

9. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Yes, the king kat circles are heavy wire. I like the 12/0 the best, it's the biggest hook on that particular gauge of wire. When you go up to the 13/0 I think the wire is a little big for the size bait that I use (4"-7"). They also have a slight offset that a lot of other circles don't have that really helps the hook set %, IMO, and there is about a 75-80 degree bend between the barb and the point that keeps the hook from turning back into the bait. I've been hooking my bait at the base of the dorsal fin and haven't had any problems with the hook turning back into it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  10. dobbie

dobbie Member

It just depends on what size of bait I can come up with.Most of my lines have 9/0 eagle claw offset stainless steel hooks.I also use 16/0 circles for large bait.In Oklahoma we are allowed 20 limblines per person.We usually have 3 people in boat so we put out several limblines.We put some close to bottom and some near the surface.I do try and keep my hooks sharp.

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :cool2::cool2: i use gamos 10/0 Jhooks tried kahle 10/0 eagle claw just get dull to fast

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i have never ran a tl before and i was talkin to my dad the other day about it and he had said that in the couple times hed done it hed use treble hooks. I cant remember the bait.. but he says when hed come down and check it.. bluegills would be on it so im guessin nightcrawlers. Anyway i think when he comes off the road were gonna run a tl at the river & i'll most likely use some of the eagle claw widegap ultrasharp 5# circles i bought the other day. P.S- I'll take pictures and let yall know the ending results.

13. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    10/0 khales sometimes just a simple 6/0 j hook, but it usually boils down to what i have at the time

14. Gatr

Gatr New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    I experimented with different hooks on limblines in slow moving rivers and found that O'Shaughnessy hooks work best in the current. The hook points up toward the surface in the current to get better penetration, other hooks like circle and kahle hooks are pointing down in the current and allows the fish to steal your bait with out much resistance.

15. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gamakatsu Octopus 4X Strong 10/0. The J hook one. I have also had some luck with owner big game hooks, but they are very pricey

16. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    I just started using Diiachi circles and man those thing rock!!! I just started fishing for cats this year and have been trying out different hooks and the Diiachi's are the best I've found so far. Owner circles would be my #2 choice.

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Satnders J hooks whemn I trot line and circle most of the time when bank fishing.

18. longliner

longliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    I prefer small hooks. I generally use 2/0 stainless Eagle Claw offset J hooks. They are very sharp and pretty stout. I target the "fryers". I dont have any problems with them.

19. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i just switched to a gama 8 ot octopus circle and have had no luck yet im hopin for better tho bank fishn i use a gama 6 ot ocotopus circle or eagle claw bait holders. i always hook my live bait through the eyes. i would like more info on this subject for sure.