what hooks do you prefer

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by johndeere nut, Jul 27, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    what hooks do all you guys prefer im using the 8/0 gamagatzu octopus circle hook im not real thrilled with these unless there is a secret to them but i have been losing alot of fish with these so what are you gus using? what size and brand do you prefer?:big_smile:

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Welcome to the Boc/soc....I love gamma 8/0 circle...But if your not having luck with them try a kahle hook!...I turn the clicker on and then when it runs pick up my rod and engage the reel and turn off the clicker..Then point the rod tip at the fosh and when i feel it pulling just crank that sucker and keep a tight line!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i used the circles for awhile. missed too many fish. i use kahles now

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Kahles are the way to go. I mostly use them in a 4/0 (witch is the biggest Walmart carries and I also landed my biggest fish on) but I also have them in 8/0 as well. I don't like circle hooks my self but I know guys that swear by them . I think they are just a kind of hook you just have to give time to learn to fish with a high hook up rate but I don't want to invest that time when kahles work great for me now. If it ain't broke leave it alone lol

5. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    is there any particular type of kahle you prefer ?

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the Eagle claw/ lazer sharp kahles. the 4/0 that I get from wally world come in a 40 pack for like 6 or 7 bucks i think. the only thing I do different (rarely) is sometimes if the bite is a slow nibble( light taps) I have found that useing plires and putting a little more side twist in the hook.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm partial to J hooks-old habits are hard to break-but lately I've been trying the Gamakatsu EWG Monster NSB in 5/0 and 6/0 and they seem to work out pretty well. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Owner SSW circles, 10/0

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like several different types of hooks.i use them depending on what kind of bait im using.I find one type works better with certain baits. but i like gama octopus circles,gama octopus,and eagle claw kahles.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Heres 2 different hooks that are great. First the Matzuo Sickle hook. Sharp is not even a word for this hook. It will have you stuck and not even let you know it.
    http://wildwolfproducts.com/hooksred.html

Then the Charlie Brown Octopus Hook. This hook has one fault and that is getting it out of a fish. When you stick a fish with this hook. You have him or her until you take needle nose pliers and get it out of them.
    http://wildwolfproducts.com/CBhook.htm

Pete

11. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    thanks i like the looks of that charlie brown octopus hook might try them out:roll_eyes:

12. catsey

catsey New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    HELLO LEROY,HAVENT HEARD FROM YOU IN AWHILE. YOU SHOWED ME YOUR 4/0 KAHLE HOOKS,WHEN WE WERE FISHING BELOW CANNELTON DAM. I LIKE THESE HOOKS THE BEST TOO. I USE THE SAME HOOK IN THE SURF AT SOUTH TEXAS,AND IT HOOKS UP GREAT FOR ALL FISH.THANKS FOR TELLING ME. SCORPION AND I HAVE BEEN FISHING NEAR BRANDENBURG.WE CATCH A FEW,AND ENJOY THE EVENING ON THE WATER.
    I DESIGNED A NEW JUG,WITH SWIM MONSTER NOODLES.PVC PIPE THRU IT WITH WASHERS AND CAPS.WITH A EYE ON EACH END,I CAN ADJUST THE DEPTH TO ANY DEPTH. THEY WORK GREAT,AND ARE EASY TO STORE.LETS FISH SOMETIME, JIM

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    3/0 circles from wal-mart mostly . I like them but I mostly target eaters .But...I have got 20lbs. in the past jug fishing with them . They do take a while to get used to. It will make you miss sometimes fishing rods with standard hooks if you forget and jerk a circle or don't jerk a standard hook .

14. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I use treble hooks for chicken livers for everything else, I love the Circle Hook. It does take a while to get use to them; keep your hands off the rod until the fish has taken your bait, then just start reeling it in. Word to the wise, do not get a circle hook in your finger or any other body part. I did last year and talk about something nasty. You cannot advance the hook through the skin, nor can you pull it out. Had to go to the E/R and get it cut out :sad2:.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use the Gama Oct number 8 and 9. I love em. I have only missed one fish this year with them. On a kat bobber they are 100%.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use Eagle Claw Laser Sharp Circles exclusively. The sizes that I use are a 2/0 on up to 7/0's.

Kahles are a great hook and I use to use them all the time on Cats and Stripers. Unfortunately after a few years of fish straightening out our hooks we had to give up on them. They worked great until I started hooking fish over 30#. They are great but hook them on a hard spot ( jaw bone ) and they will, and do straighten out on ya. And a Stripers ( up to 60# on my lake )....them bad boys hit you and they're gone. They will literally straighten them out on impact. Its to heartbreaking when your fish of a like time keeps getting away, I had to give them up.

Kahle users know exactly what I'm talking about ; ) We have all hooked a log or rock, pulled good and hard and it straightens out your hook. I use to be happy because I didn't have to re-tie a new hook on. Heck, I use to even take pliers and bend em back, re-bait and throw it back out.

However Kahles are a excellent hook to use.....very good hook-up rate. Also, they will slowly teach you how to use circles if you desire to do so.

When buying Kahles try and find 4x strong hooks. The worst kahles I've used are the Wal-Mart ones...they bent the most.

Sorry Kahle users... I aint tryin to knock yas at, I'm just explaining my past experiences with them.

So basically I go with Circles....hands down, no exceptions ; )

g'luck
    -Jim-

17. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Love my 4/0 kahlie hooks. My avitar was caught on one :big_smile: 44lb 11oz.

John

18. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice catch!

I use gama octopus circles. use sizes from 2/0 up to 7/0. Ive already lost quite a few fish with them this year though so I dont know what I'm going to do. :confused2:

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I like the gama size 5-9 depending on the bait Octopus they are sharp as hell and if i do my job they do theirs everytime. sharpest, strongest, best hooks in my box

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use 8/0 octopus offset circle hooks and kahle from 4/0 to 10/0. Hard to say which I like best.