What Hook should I use?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by turtle, Aug 17, 2006.

1. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    :confused2: Hello everyone. Im new at this river fishing and need some help finding the right hook. i dont want a hook that you have to wait and let the fish run before you set it. and im after the bigger cats so i will need to know the size of hook to. Any info would be great
    P.S. This is by far the best website.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    welcome Turtle. I would use a size 5/0 and larger in the stile of hook you like.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

from a 3/0-7/0 j-hook are a khale hook would be your best bet IMO. Good luck Brother.

4. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    It doesn't matter what hook you use, you have to be certain the fish has the bait all the way in it's mouth.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    M. Magis has a great point......BUT the fish decides if the hook is all the way in its mouth, not us (OPINION)!! 80% of the Flatheads I get are on a mode on cut bait that I call the "LITE BITE", circles will not work when they are doing this to me for they will only mouth the bait and not run with it. Yes I could use circles and give up 80% of my fish, dah.

Most should say that you need to match the size hook to the fish and the bait so you if the bigger cats I would say an 6/0 or bigger.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother. Great to have another new member.

I use 7/0 Kahles for just about everything.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC Turtle. Get a box of Eagle Claw nickle plated 7/0 kahles this is a good all around hook that will catch small and large fish and you dont have to learn how to use it just bait it and set the hook:lol: .

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    First Of All Turtle WELCOME aboard We Are ALL Glad that You Joined The BOC!!! Now All The Folks Have Given You Some Mighty good advice there, and I have to agree on the Kahlie Hooks They happen to be My Favorite! And some 7/0 will work super. Now as for Bait I would use fresh Whole Bluegill or Shad or cut bait of the same type. The big flatheads and Blue cat and the Larger Channel cat love it when they are on the bite. So again welcomeaboard and go catch a Big Old one. and as questions arise don't be afaird to ask because We will Help OK. Your New Friend and BOC Brother From Iowa J.D.Straka :smile2:

9. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    :smile2: Thanks for all of the good information. it sounds like i will be using 7/0 kahle hooks

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    wow i thought the 5/0 khale was big enough for any thing

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Turtle, Welcome to the Brotherhood. I also like khale style hooks but I use smaller ones since I am after smaller fish. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't get mad if a big one bit but I like the eating size ones best.

st