What hook should I use?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Bigones, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers I was looking for some suggestions on what hook I should use. I like to use really big bait. I use anywhere from 1-3 lb live fish for bait so I need a big hook. I have been using Gamakatsu All-Purpose O'Shaugnessy Hook 10/0. Its big enough but its just so fat that its real hard to get a good hook set. Thanks for the help.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    For a bait that size I would use a 10/0 king kahle hook. They are not as thick but just as strong!!!

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I don't like O'shaugnessy hooks like you said to fat. I use octopus hooks or live bait hooks (also in 10/0) for my big my big baits. Give them a try.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with J.W. 10/0 Eagle claw king kahle.

5. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where can a feller get 10/0 kahle hooks from? I haven't seen them before. I think the biggest I have seen is 7/0. Thanks brothers

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Catfish connection, one of the B.O.C. sponsors have 10/0 kahles. They have very good service anr bunch friendly people. I have call them a couple times

7. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    10/0 khale hook work well

8. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    Gamakatsu big river hooks...got some...and i love them...i use them with carp 8 inches or bigger

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I love my gamma octopus hooks in 9/0 and 10/0, I use large bait also usually in the 2/3lb range. You might try hooking your bait inside the mouth then out the top of the head. I do this with all carp,suckers,drum,and shad,when they are too thick in the tail. I have some 10/0 big river bait hooks coming to try this year on my monster baits,so I can't give a recomendation on them yet.

10. bmullikin32

bmullikin32 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks work well

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I would use a stinger rig. With a large bait holder hook on the front placed between the nostrils and a large treble on the back with one of the points in the bait behind the dorsal fin or you could use a needle to sow them onto the bait with some light mono this will allow for less injury to your bait and more gap to set the hook.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Tim,
    I use Kayle hooks 7/0 -10/0. You can buy 10/0 Kayles at catfish connection for $13.95 plus shipping will cost you around $20 for 50 hooks. But I dont think the 10/0 would be big enough for a 3 lb. bait. Never used bait that big. You might try Tims Idea. Or catfish connection also sells Gamakatsu Circle hooks in a 12/0. A pack of 2 hooks cost $8.20 not including shipping. Thats more than I would spend for 2 hooks but you might try a couple if you want. I would go with Tims Ides and run a 10/0 Kayle through the bottom jaw and out the top of the head then run a 5/0 trebble as a trailer toward the tail. 777