What hook for shore fishing?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katlover, Aug 28, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    i'm kinda new to catfishing and i don't really have any special hooks. i would like a self-setting hook. what types are there? also, what size is recommended for pan-sized fish? remember, i am fishing from shore at a local pond.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use Kahle 2/0 hooks, they are self setting or you can set them either one. Or cirle hooks in an 8 is the size I use for eaters. JMO

3. cropdusterdave

cropdusterdave New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Regular circle hooks the size of your choosing work well. I like to set up one circle hook and one trebel. Little ones wont hook up on the trebel as easily.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I really like kahle hooks. You can get them in all different sizes. Hope that helps and good luck!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For the catfish and "self-setting" hooks I would say circle hooks are kahle hooks. Are you could by a automatic hook setter to set the hook for you. For the bream I use a long neck/cricket aberdeen hook #4. Good luck

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    For pond cats [ eaters ] , I would not go bigger than a 4/0 kahle , that way if their not slamming it ,you can still do a traditional hool set.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Also Recommend Circle Or Kahle Hooks For Catfishing And Tiny Lazer Sharp Circle Hooks That They Sale At Cabelas For Bream.

8. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    circle hooks or kahle should work,wouldnt use anything larger than 4/0 for either.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Jacob;
    I'd have to agree with Brother Pierce, don't go larger than a 4/0 in just about any hook.
    I've found that the serious Brother and Sisters tend to use either a "Circle" style or a "Kahle" style hook.
    As to exactly which brand and all, ... thats one that you could argue around the campfire all night and still not have a wrong answer.
    Try different brands and sizes and see what works best for your particular situation.
    One last thing! Remember that a certain size and style of say an Eagle Claw Lazer most likely will NOT be the same size/style/dimensions of a similar Mustad, Diahaci, Penn, or Gamakatsu, just to name a few brands. You see, the hook making industry has not gotten together and agreed upon what size a 4/0 vs. a 12/0 should be! Maybe someday, I hope. :smile2:
    I also hope this helps you out a little.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]