What hook do you use on a trot line

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by vetrock, Mar 25, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Would a circle hook work?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm planning on running a few 8/0 Octupus Hooks and a couple 14/0 Circle hooks to try for some monsters. Probably wait till late summer/early fall before I do it.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yes they'll work. Are they the best hook for the job? I don't know, but they will work, for sure.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways used stainless o'shannesy hooks but I think a circle might work great on trotlines.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes. they were first designed by sea fisherman for catch and release. but limbliners bankliners were among the first inlanders to use them because of the NO HOOK set feature. all the fish has to do it put tention on line. there hooked. and more they pull the farther it embeds. for unmanned lines they are a top choice.:wink:

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Thanks guys. I have another question. What about yo yos? Circle hooks there too?

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use the same hook easy to sharpen and just a good overall hook

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use a 4/0 ss hook and I make sure they are needle point sharp.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Circle hooks were designed to use on longlines (trotlines) in salt water. If you are just going to leave your trotline in the water for a day or two, you can get by with non-stainless hooks, but if you're planning on leaving them in the water much longer than that, you really need to use stainless steel hooks. Personally, I use Big Eye Trotline hooks that I buy at Wal Mart because of they're much cheaper than circle hooks, and are a lot easier to use with the 100# test braided nylon line I use for droppers.