What have you went thru in the quest for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jul 17, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon and myself, have waded rivers, walked miles to secluded spots..We have half froze to death, and also been so hot we thought heat stoke was right around the corner...We have walked up and down hills with way to much tackle, spent way to much money on tackle and gas..For one reason, the king of freswater game fish, the Flathead..We are not successfull enough, but just enough to keep hope alive, and if you dont have hope, and something to excite you in this life it can get plenty boring..So heres to the Flathead fishermen, and hope your next fish is a good one.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I went fishing, in the river. Nothing drastic, but yall catch alot more fish. With that work you deserve em brother.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The below pic shows a small example..this spot requires hauling your tackle up and down several steep inclines such as this, and using a rope or strap to climb back up

Attached Files:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    one thing i haven't had to go thru: fishing with flathunter and waterhead:lol: :lol:

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    seems like me and my uncle are the ones always getting bait, wading, going through neddles, snakes, turtles, heat, cold, and the gas prices lol... (by the way gas is supposed to hit 4.00 by the end of next month) and boat UP stream for 2-3 hours with paddles and trolling motor.. when deep enough to use... all for my PB 38.8.... and the great views, calls of nature, weather, and the BEAUTIFUL OUTDOORS :)

6. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Flathunter that pic reminds me of a fishing trip with my dad and some of his buddies on the Grand river in Missouri when I was 13. We had to climb down a bank like that in the dark, while we were finding a way we heard a crash and a thud.

Dad calls out asking what was that and one of his buds yells back that he found a way down. He fell a good 15 feet, landed on the cooler he was carrying. Like the bad ass trucker he was he claimed he was fine, turned out he broke 3 ribs. It did turn out to be one of the best trips ever as we all got into some monster flatties.

Just wish I could still handle that kind of fishing these days, but will always have the memories.

Does kind of make ya wonder if we cat fishermen are completely sane though.:lol: :lol:

7. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, I am right there with you. I do most of that stuff just to get bait. Then, I have to do it all over to go fishing for the flats. I hate fishing where everyone else fishes. I always want to find me an exclusive hole. Unfortunately, on the GMR, that is nearly impossible.

I haven't fished for flats in probably eight years until I started again this year. I forgot how much work it can be. I enjoy it though. I am starting to like sweating again. It is good exercise. I am finally losing some of the weight I put on being a channel fishermen.

8. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've been out on the lake in a snow storm and freeze'n weather. Also out there in 100+ temps just to check my gear. But we catch a lot of cats , just not many flatheads.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Me and my best friend while we were in HS had to carry a 10' jon boat full of all our gear, (camping and fishing) about a mile and a half out of a soy bean field after it rained all night and we could not drive the truck through the field where we dumped everything out.

Oh yeah, it was the middle of August, about 100+ degrees by the time we made it to the truck, after starting about 10:00 am! Never been so miserable!

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I fish from the shore and some times I have to go to great links to catch bluegill at one spot and then transport them to my flathead spots. it can be a real pain in the ass carrying the bluegill, poles, cooler, tackle, and chair and Im sure I look funny as hell carryin all that shit but, its all worth it when you hook into that monster thats just making your drag sing and your wondering if this could be the one. Theres no tellin what I would go through to go fishin but, im sure theres not much I wouldnt do because fishin is my life.

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, I think you posted for every flathead angler out there! Its not very often you find those big uns where everybody else fishes so its an adventure everytime we go. Also how many times did Mellon slide down that bank? Looks like he's giving competition to the beavers out there! :lol:

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I don't know if you guys have it where you fish, but we have what we call "stingweed" for a lack of better word. It is just that, if you touch it, it will sting and itch like crazy for about an hour or two, it is miserable, especially if you are hot and sweaty!

It also sucks being taller than whoever you are fishing with, as you end up with all the cobwebs on your face and your hat that your short buddy went under, and of course HE is carrying the lantern!

Damm! I miss the river!!

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    neddles are what they are called around here

14. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Well, from your success rate I'd say ya done all that crap for nothing! :lol: :eek:oooh: You gotta get to the fish some way or another, sure wish it was just bait, cast and catch.

I can say that I haven't went through all that crap but fishing with Dip is kind of brutal too!

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I tell you, I have had so many I can't remember them all but I have had a lot of hardtimes, heartaches and emptied my pocket book more than once chasing those yellowcats. BUt I just keep at it, nothing like catching a 50lb yellowcat, They are the kings of the rivers. But the main thing for me is watching them swim off after I release them. Keeps the fish there for everybody else to catch and release.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    During one recent trip to the Ohio River in late March, I was broken down in the middle of the river in my boat, then a tornado came through town..It was pretty bad, I was trolling back to the boat ramp against the current, then i hit a rock and busted the propeller of the trolling motor..So we had to get as close to the bank as possible and pull the boat with the tie off rope, so there we are in the river and it is storming and lightening like crazy..That was definantly one of my worst most memorable trips!!!

17. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    What have I went thru in the quest for flathead catfish?

I think the real answer is what haven't I went thru! :tounge_out:

The flathead addiction is new to me. Been at it for 2 years now.

I've got Coleman coolers in my apartment with air bubblers pumping full of lively little bullheads. These same coolers switch to on-the-go livewells with livewell recirculating pumps retrofitted into the coolers.

The rod collection is growing. 3 Berkley Reflex & 2 Ugly Stick Tiger rods matched to (2) 6500 Abu's, (2) 7000 Abu's, and an Okuma Epixor EB50 baitrunner.

The tackle collection is growing. No-Roll sinkers up the wazoo! Gamakatsu 10/0 hooks coming out of my ears!

Got my hands on darn near every piece of flathead literature and video I can find.

And remember... I'm fishing flatheads in Minnesota! We're on the northern end of the flatties range. We don't have much prime flathead water, just a couple major rivers. Yet, Minnesota still produces some awesome flathead fishing. This summer alone, I've landed a 48lb (my avatar), and buddies of mine have landed 58lb, 50lb, and 44 pounders.

Remember... I'm new to this but bit by the bug. Pulled an all nighter on Friday & Saturday and snuck out for a few hours last night. Only flattie I caught all weekend was a little 8 pounder which was last night. It was a rough weekend but thats the kind of effort it takes to produce a true trophy up here.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I know what you guys mean, carrying all that stuff through a quarter mile trail, then crossing a canal, then almost crawling 100 yards through dense vegetation, then climbing down a steep bank of SAND!!!!!!! It's worth it!!!!

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was going to post some pics of our adventures, but man justr SEEING the pics makes me sore, so I'll just +Rep Jack & call it a night! :lol:

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Well you guys are making me feel lazy. I got my pontoon docked on the local river. I drive down to the water, unload my gear, pull the boat up, load up the gear and motor up to where we will fish. Now back in my younger days I would load down a backpack with my gear, haul a sleeping bag, tent and all supplies on a bicycle to the river. I had to look like a freak show going down the road!:roll_eyes: