What Have You Been Catching

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by LarryW, May 22, 2006.

1. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    May 22

Sherry and I finally got to go out and do some fishing today. Could not take the boat because the bouncing would not be good for her so yesterday I went looking for places to go bank fishing. Found some good spots down by Henry on the Vermilion river. and we went out to one of them today.

Tried fishing with nightcralers, shrimp and cut bait and could not get a bite on any of them. The only thing that worked was Danny Kings Punch Bait and we were catching on it all afternoon. We did not catch any big ones but had 9 keepers that were all under 2 pounds, not much but it made us happy. We know the big ones are there just have to hit it when they are biting. I know we will defiantly try the spots again. It was nice to have some fresh catfish tonight.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i believe in stinkbait but i know i need to get away from that bait or not so dependable. but i think if you try shad or shiner and slice from their fin to about an inch from their tail so it looks like 3 dangling pieces attached to the end tail. it works great for me! i hope you like it. also cut open a big cats belly from your biggest catch and see what they are eating and try and use that as bait and youll catch what you want!

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Had fresh cut shad out all day the only thing that showed any interest in in was the crabs. Used the punch bait after trying all the others and also kept the cut shad out all day with fresh peces.

4. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    ive been using nite crawlers and having good luck. i put a worm on a 3/8 white or red jig head, no other weights and fish the bottom in a current. duane showed me about the worms for bait....mr smitty showed me the jig head trick........i am a live worm jig head man from now on........

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Charlie, if we ever get together you will have to show that setup to me so I can try it.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    yes sir mr larry......thats how i do it now...another bait that works for me in the ICW is a quarter size little baby crab on a jig head. i flip them next to old pylings ............ not this week but in the next week or so, we can make a trip if you want..... semper fi charlie r

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Sounds good Charlie, just let me know the time and place and I will be there. I love to fish but don't seem to have much luck but that is about to change I think.

8. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Woke up about four this morning and could not go back to sleep so was out fishing by five Not much going on in the spot I fish in the weather was nice and no wind. cought 8 little ones between 5 and 10. I am begining to wonder if there are any big ones in this area. Did have one scare about 9 looked at the bank just in frount of me and there was a 5 foot water mock there watching me. Now I do not care for snakes at all and this guy just did not look frendly. Had a big club laying within reach of my chair and through it at him and nocked him back into the water. Next time think I will have a gun with me.

9. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Larry,congrats on the fish catching.Sounds like you caught some good pan size fish.They eat so good..:big_smile:

10. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for sharing Charlie.I might have to try that trick with the jig heads...

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I havent been doing much fishing lately, Sherry has been sick and I neen to take care of her. When I did go out didn't do much good. Thinking of going out tomorrow with my four year old grandson and see what he can catch. He is with us for a week and about all he talks about is going catfishing. Hope he can catch something worth keeping.