What has happened to the U S A ????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Aug 28, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont mean to open any hurt hearts or minds but I was wondering what the heck has happened to our sense of being proud to be Americans?????
    I couldnt help but wondering while I was driving home this evening what has happened to our sense of pride ???????????
    You all are probably wondering what in the world im talking about well its simple actually,,,,, today is August 28th 2008 and as I was driving home this evening I couldnt help but to notice that out of 50 homes that I passed by I only seen one AMERICAN flag being flown. in comparison; on September 12th 2001 it seemed like old glory was being flown from every other home and from almost every building and road side sign.
    On Sept 11th 2001 I was on the USS Bulkeley DDG-84 in Pascagoula Mississippi when I first saw the the first plane hit the first tower of the world trade center we all thought it was a simple mechanical failure of another jet liner but of course that very quickly changed when the second plane hit the seond tower!!!!!!!!! As a result of our training we immediatly lept into action manning every weapon system on the ship and posting every possible armed top side watch possible on the look out for any threat to the ship as the USS Cole was still very fresh in our memories as the Cole was in the ship yard having that huge hole in her side being reparied.
    As you can guess we were all scared out of our shorts but ready to do anything to defend our ship, country, and loved ones from any enemy.
    After 48 staight hours of manning one of the forward .50 caliber machinegun mounts I heard the commanding officer of the ship come over the ships loud speaker system better known to us sailors as the 1MC and told us what had happened and that immediate leave would be given to those with family in the Norfolk Virginia area.
    As I was making the long drive from Pascagoula to Norfolk I witnessed an amazing thing,,,, every where I looked it seemed like there was an AMERICAN flag being flown from almost everything at one point I was so overcome with pride that I had to pull over and cry!!! They were tears of anger, fear, and pride!!!! I didnt realize it but i had pulled over in a rest area some where in Alabama with a huge AMERICAN flag that had been placed there by WW2 vets anyway I was standing there dressed in my service dress blues saluting our nations flag when a small boy he couldnt have been more than nine or ten years old walked up to me and said please dont cry everything will be ok. Well I didnt know how to resond to the childs statement but to pick hm up and hug him an say thank you or being so brave.
    Now to my point prior to December 7th 1941 I can remember my grandpa telling me that very few houses had the AMERICAN flag being flown but shorty after that our national pride had been elevated and EVERY home had old glory waving proudly from thier front step stoops.
    I still fly old glory from my home every day and night ( of course I have an artifical light on it at night, as the sun will never set on the AMERCAN flag or our country )

I had to retire from the the Navy in July of 2006 they told me that 22 years, 2 wars and various other engagements like Grenada, and Panama was enough. If I could I would re-enlist and do it all over again.
    I cant remember who said it but those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the lack of our natioal flag being proudly displayed????????

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I have the flag "flying" in my classroom, albeit a small, it's still Old Glory! and it will be over my cold dead body when they take it out of there. I'm serious too! I would QUIT first!

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you so much!!!!!

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Thank you for your service .

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thank you for yer service Mr. Smith, My old worn out flag will be replaced with a new one tomorrow......:cool2:

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    http://sagebrushpatriot.com/america.htm

Just for you Smitty...it was so uncanny...I no more posted on this and went and checked my mail and there this was...It was like Someone sent it just so I could give it to you...You helped take such good care of us for so long and I appreciate it, and I know most of us in here does too!

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Never get tired of that one, thanks.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post Ken. I fly my flag 24/7/365. One of the few I see around here. Wonder how many will be flown in the next few weeks.

9. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree that it shouldn't take a national disaster to bring us together because now is when we should stick together and get the guys that do these things. Thank you for your services.Also just to say toyota shouldn't be in nascar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I liked seeing the flags, but I really got aggravated about 3 weeks later when these people had filthy, tattered flags still stuck on their cars and houses. Which is worse, not flying a flag or showing utter disrespect by basically letting it rot off the car/house/building it's hanging on? Not trying to be contrary at all, but if you're going to display a flag, at least have the decency to keep it presentable.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That was awesome! Tried to rep you but have to spread some around. :big_smile:

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I hadn't taken the time to put up an American flag until 911, but it has been flying every since. I've had to replace it a few times. :big_smile:

God bless America!!!!

13. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The oligarchs are still determined to destroy it, but we can fight back. The worst thing we can do is be discouraged, because that is what the radical right wants. Distract us with nonsense politics while they bleed us dry. Compare the circumstances of your own life with the crap the politicians and clowns on talk radio tell you. Quite a difference isn't it? There is nothing new under the sun, this has happened before. For a little historical background, google the phrase 'gilded age'- without the quotes. Read up on how things used to be and how the radical right wants to return us to the bad old days. Find an older relative or friend and ask them how much fun the great depression was. It will make this 'a country boy can survive' nonsense a little less attractive.

14. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    You do bring up a very good point too bad the people who put up there flags after a disaster forget that showing their love for their is like everything else it must be done all the time to be real Thanks for your service

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

In my area (allentown, PA) Its being replaced by puerto rico's flag. You see it on every other bumper, rear view mirror, yard & tshirt. One guy not far from my place put in a real flag pole then hung it up. Not the proper way, US then PR but just PR. Appearently, they've all either forgotten what country their in or they just dont care. God forbid anyone say anything or it all goes PC and people cry discrimination. I've got ole glory flying at home and always will. Im 2nd generation American. Ive been tempted to get the Norweign flag to fly as well and should I do, it'll be in its proper place, below the US flag as Im American first and foremost and Im in America. Unless your at an embassy, the nation in which your located is supposed to be the one flown highest.

16. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    well hey now i dont think that just cuz someone doesnt have the stars and stripes flyin means that they arent proud to be americans.. i am damn proud to say that im from the united states, do we fly a flag? no but we have one. its in my room because my mom stopped flyin it.

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A flag pole was the first thing I added to my home when bought it and the flag will always fly!

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have two displayed. One that came off my father's coffin when we buried him in the National Cemetery, and one that flew over Saddam Hussein's palace a year ago last 4th of July.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great thread Ken!

Just happen to have a picture of my flag.

About a week or so after my last birthday I received a package and certificate from Washington DC. The certificate was to certify that the accompanying flag was flown over the United States Capital on my birthday.

That was about the best birthday present I've ever received from my daughter. It's a foot larger than the flag I have flying but I intend to use it later.