What happens when you hit a log with an outboard jet?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BenNewt, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I know, it sounds like a stupid question. The reason why I'm asking is that I'm in the boat market and I was recently talking with a boat dealer that sells both outboard jets and standard prop setups. I explained to him that I like to fish in a shallow river full of logs and would like something that handles well in that situation. He explained to me that while outboard jets are neat, they handle horribly when you hit a log. They don't "give" like alot of tiller rigs do. In fact, he said that there would be the distinct possibility of shearing off the lower unit or ripping the entire motor off the back of the boat, whereas a prop rig would probably bounce off the log with perhaps some prop damage.

If the guy sold only prop rigs and was competing against outboard jet boats, I would take what he was saying with a big fat grain of salt. The problem is that he probably makes a bigger commission by selling an outboard jet, because they are more expensive...so that got me thinking....

Any thoughts on this?

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    unless you forget to unlock the outboard both should do the same thing,ride up and over the log then drop back down when clear,it's not fun,but it works,the prop motor could sustain some prop damage or skeg damage if the prop itself hits the log hard and the skeg can be damaged if it hits hard,but in those waters you should be going fairly slow anyway.the jet outboard was made to run those waters and instead of a prop they use the impeller,I would worry more about sucking trash into the impeller than damaging the lower unit.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

3. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    The jet will run in 6" of water. Youll hit alot less logs than a prop. If you have a tunnel hull you can go right over top of them. I hit a few large floaters at night on a local res this past summer, didnt hurt a thing.I love my jet.

4. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I own a jet boat and the worst thing I've ever had happen when jumping a log is, a broken transducer and a clogged intake. No real damage of any kind. If your jet is mounted right, there shouldn't be much hanging below the hull, so you just slide over the log. If the log is really soft and mushy, it might clog the intake as it slides over.

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I think maybee what the dealer is talking about is that a jet lower unit has a bit of a"hook" in the design of the intake that may "hook" onto a log and be a good tug on the outdrive as it tilts upward, a prop lu is flat in the front and trails down to the skeg when it hits a log

6. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am with Mark on this one. If you have a tiller without power trim and tilt then ok. If you hit a stump the motor pops up and you go over the stump. If you have power trim and tilt and hit a stump with a tiller its going to roack the boat and jerk the heck out of the motor because it cant flip up. Now you the trim unit is goignto bypass but not till it about pitches you out of your seat. The motors are the same from the lower unit up for the most part.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have hit a log before with a jet and all it did was bend a few of the grates that cover the impeller.

8. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I never paid any attention to the logs on the river with my jet, I just run right over them. Now if it bigger than the boat then you might want to detour. Never done any damage or clogged the intake. The only reason I sold that, is fuel consumption.:eek:oooh: