What happened?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jun 11, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    How was Mendota this weekend? Did anybody go?

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I'm due for a mendota fix.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Tom....Nope, didn't happen. Not much interest in catching fish. More folks seem to want to travel 200-500 miles for skunks:big_smile: I figure, I sponsored it going on 4 yrears now, and Iam not going to put any more back breaking work into a gathering if folks are not going to attend. Heck, Ican save $ and time and just go out there.
    I thought a lot of folks would like to get together, especially, centrally located and there are fish to be taken. Someone else plan one around here. I burned out doing it every year. If folks want to hook up and experience the slough, they can call me, e mail me, or just go there.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sorry to hear that no one showed up Robb, I had intended to go but pressing plumbing problems at home prevented me making the trip.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I know ya would of showed up brother. I go out there anyway. If someone wants to host a gathering around here, I will be there. Wish I was closer to you bro. I would try my luck at that salt water stuff:big_smile:

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You get ready to give it a try some time during the week and give me a call I'll set us up reservations on a freelance trip to the Channel Islands.
    An all day trip is about $65.00 and goes from 4am till 4-5 pm. Overnight is around $120.00.
    I can supply all the fishing gear needed. I also have a good supply of Bonine for seasickness.

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Rob, sorry to hear about the Mendota gathering. It seems like so much fun. I am gettng work done to my truck; as soon as it is complete my truck will be able to make it to CentalCali. I would really like to go fishing with you brother.
    Rob, my buddies and I are going on a two day tuna trip in July, you are more than welcome to come along buddy.

Jaime

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Will do for sure brother Tom:big_smile: any of those boats sink out there?:crazy: LOL!!!! Never fished the ocean. Heck, would love to try it though.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It's no biggie. I fish the place all the time. Heck, it's to me like the Colorado river is to brother Dale. I am out there just about every weekend and sometime throughout the week. Others missed out :tounge_out: I started the Mendota Gathering, cause back in the day, It was only a couple of us here in Cali. I used it as a recruiting tool. Used to fish by myself for years. Still do now and again, but the fellowship of folks is way cool. Plus the knowledge given and recieved is AWESOME. Love to see folks experience hooking and landing nice fish. I seen gatherings even back south and midwest, and most them don't harvest huge fish. I figured, if all wants comfort of home, than biuld yourself a pond in back yard. My opinion (all it is) is Catfishing and Camping go together:wink: The wide open out doors. The fire crackling through out the night. The sounds of coyotes howling and coon dogs barking. The lanterns flickering and bells a ringing. No showers, no porta potties....Just plain outdoors. The sunrises ans sunsets, the smell of coffee on the colman.....NOTHING LIKE IT!This was how i was raised.To me, this is catfishing. I know all the fancy gadgets, but sometimes, it's good to bo back and do things the old fashioned way.
    This is what I experience every weekend. This is what I will experience this weekend:big_smile: Jaime, you know your always welcome buddy:wink:

10. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    robb

i wish i could of made it to the gathering, but i just recently got back on the boc. i love the old school camping and cating. me and my bro did just that up at lake isabella we didnt catch anything big but at least we had some good fun camping. i know how it is to put a lot of effort into somthing and not get anything from it. sorry bro

joe

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Brother Joe....No need to say sorry. Heck, I accomplished what I had set out to do 4 years ago, I have seen members join here in the valley and that was actually why I started the gathering in the first place. The hard work paid off. :big_smile:
    You know, I used to bass fish and all the fancy boats and all the fancy gadgets turned me off. Yes, fishing is a sport, but to me (my own opinion) is it became commercial. I am starting to see catfishing become commercial too. This bothers me. I always feel that catfishing is an experience...."A way of life". That's why I always held and hosted the "Mendota Gathering". :smile2:

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Damn straight there is a sinking from time to time. But you can get ran over by a bus any day and that's far more likely to happen.
    I've been on board a boat 60 miles offshore and had it catch on fire and I just went below and went to bed and allowed the crew to worry about it.
    Recently there was a boat out of San Diego that split in heavy seas and required coast guard evacuation. The coast guard also delivered heavy duty pumps to the boat and it was kept afloat to get back to S.D. and is now back in operation.
    Remember that the ocean can be unpredictable at times and it is always unforgiving. But all sport-boats have the latest available safety equipment on board including self deploying life rafts and location beacons.

13. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Robb
    We will get together and go out there. I love the outdoors and so do my children. I will pull out the camper and we can talk, cat, grub and enjoy.
    Soon as I can break free I will PM you and we can set it up...
    :big_smile:

14. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    robb,

sorry it did not work out this year....at least so far. you know I would have made it if I could have. this will be the first year that I miss.

hope to fish with you soon.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Sounds good to me Tom, School will be out soon, and I'd like to try the channel Islands on a "cattle boat" no, not one of the half day ones, but the 3/4 or overnight one..... I took my 18 ft. NorthRiver boat to Santa Barbara Island..... kid of gutzie with the 45 miles one way out to Marina Del Rey, So let me know when you want to go..... were you going to do one for you Son en law?

bayrunner ray

16. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sent you a PM. Hope you don't think me to boorish.