What Happened To The Good Bite????

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Dec 30, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    This month started out GREAT for me! :big_smile:

Big fish were being caught on every trip it seemed, and this December went down as one of the best months I have ever had for big fish. The totals are amazing for me and include: 54, 40, 43, 44, 44, 36, 33, 30, 22, 23, 25, 25 and many in the teens.

Towards the end of the month the bite started falling off sharply. This seemed to be widesread around the region based on fishing reports from other anglers. I was thinking moon phase, but three of my best days earlier in the the month were around the full moon. The weeks following that full moon continued to produce big fish as the moon waned.

Around the 4th week of the month, once water temps dropped into the 40's, both the big fish and the smaller fish became increasingly hard to catch. This week the big fish bite is gone and even the smaller fish are hard to come by.

Some folks have blamed the rain and high water, but the fish I caught early in the month were during high muddy water that was moving through the system. We have had current all month.

The one thing I found that changed dramatically was the water temperature this month. On December 1st I was fishing in 59-60 degree water. Today the lake water was 44-45 degrees. That's a 15 degree change in a month. Looking at the weather forecast it is going to get even worse and we will probably see lake temps drop into the lower 40's by next week.

In time the fish will adjust to the cold and begin to feed again, but perhaps with not as much vigor as they did earlier in the month. So, a note for next season; get out and enjoy that last bit of 55-65 degree water in December!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It went with the warm weather :smile2::smile2:

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    maybe all the dead shad that came down the lake has gave them to much to eat or maybe you caught all of the big fish an gave them a sour lip :smile2:

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It certainly has fell off a little since Christmas. Caught some today but the bite is noticeably slower. The beginning of Dec. has always been good to me.

5. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    i agree. getting slow for me. nothing really on the river.

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    quote by Jason:maybe all the dead shad that came down the lake has gave them to much to eat or maybe you caught all of the big fish an gave them a sour lip :smile2

You don't rekon Dieter is eating all them big cats:smile1: If he is may not be any left. Man it would be sad if all them Catwba guys and all the Carolina guys started keeping all them big fish, wouldn't be any left for others to catch. My question is whats done happen to the Roundhill, Marty, Jeff, sunbird, bigbird, pop pop, gator?????? were is everbody at?? They bout as scarce as the big fish

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i am not fishing this weekend. I will be back at it next weekend. It will be back warmed up some next weekend but may be wet. i had too many trips lately with nothing. I am going to work sat so i can fish the catawba tourney.

8. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    duno if you guys fish,highrock,badin or tuckertown. but i went out to do my usual bait the hole deal. and i couldnt believe how frozen over most of the channels were. the main channel that leads to the dam at highrock was still movin but every where else was frozen bad!

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    You guys might want to think shallow waters and fish in the 11:00 AM to 2 PM range. The day after Christmas I had a fellow from Minnesota that missed two nice ones before the finally got a nice one in. Surface water temp. was around 42 degrees and the gulls were picking up scattered shad with no noticeable striper action. Thus, I assume the big ones had gathered for a feast of sluggish or dead thread fins.

I went out this past Wednesday and was fishing deeper waters by myself and the surface water temp. was 41.5 to 42 degrees in 30 to 40 feet of water and did not get a bite. Again, the gulls were picking up scattered shad and I was not marking any arches or notice any striper action. I will revisit this area real soon and work the shoreline.

10. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    mac, where are yall getting the yellow vise grips from i've been seeing them in alot of pics

11. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    pm mac and he can tell you.i did know.but mac told me

12. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    teamcatfish.com They are only a few dollars and they float.