What happened to fishin for fun?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by curtbltz, Mar 7, 2008.

1. curtbltz

curtbltz New Member

State:
    Ontario Canada
    I hear all the time from guys I know "Oh I wanna get the biggest fish out there" or "I got no time to waste on carp or cats or small fish, I wanna catch the big one!"

Fishing isn't about just size. Its about having fun and enjoying a wonderful past time. Anyone else know any weekend warriors like me who think size beats all?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If youve seen some of the places I fish you would know it was for fun :smile2:. I take my boys out all the time and for the most part its for them to get ahold of eater size cats or gills. My oldest likes to bass fish, since we are pretty much landlocked fishing wize he doesnt have a whole lot of places to go to do it. There are some decent places where I take them where I can hope to get ahold of a biggun but usually its eater size.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    First, welcome to the BOC Curt. Myself, I just love to catch fish, period. I have caught bluegill to bluefin tuna, all the same to me. I actually have fished by myself for the last few years because other people bragging while Im fishing annoyes me. I do fish with about 7-8 retired military guys during the summer months on and off. We dont meet, were just all out there all the time and just chew the fat,share tackle and bait and rib each other.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Curt ,I only fish for fun. If I get a biggun its only that much better. I also catch to eat ,when I want to. an if that aint country I'll kiss yer feet on main in the mornin.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well if catching trash fish and dinks is what makes your boat float more power to ya. You do know that when you go out to fish you never know what size cat you will catch. When I go out I want the big ones, but I take what comes. I try for big ones with big bait trying to eliminate smaller bites and I have fun doing it. It's like a drug, the small doses don't satisfy me like when I got hooked! lol :smile2:If any one is not having fun while fishing then they are involved in the wrong pastime.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with you brother! I love to catch fish period. I just want to experience the fun of battling a big one though!:big_smile:

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I enjoy fishing for fun and have fun almost every time I fish. 300+ hours of my fishing this year will be in tournaments. This is when it is important to catch the big ones and why I like to practice catching big ones all the time. I practice getting better at what I do, and I enjoy that.

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I fish for fun and to eat them. Daytime I'll have a pole to catch crappy or bream and a pole out for catfish. At night I'll target catfish if I catch a big one thats good and if I catch a small one thats good too.

9. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I dont think too many people pursue fishing as bigger is better. I personally just go out and fish even if i get skunked and walk away with an empty stringer i still have a smile on my face because i got out away from work and got to do the thing i love and always will love. It not bout catchin its bout fishin thats why we call it so. If we happen to catch a limit or a trophy then great that lets you know you had your ducks in a row and you are learning.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Curt!! First of all, only in the good ol USA we have the pleasure of kicking back and go fishing or hunting. That's Freedom. Myself I don't care how big the fish are, I just like catching them period. If I catch a big fish. Great. That's makes the day that much better.:big_smile::big_smile:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    reps to ya brother. great thought.

take me. i catch between 100-200 channelcats every season. my main target most of the time. i fish for 50-60lbs of fillets then toss them back after that just to be outside enjoying th weather and the thrill of the hunt. weather they go with me or not,lol. but to some big fish experts that pic and release im the evil one decimating the sport. to each his own. enjoy the great out doors while its still safe to breath the air.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Good post. I always fish for fun. Why do it if all you do is get up set.
    Bill

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i will take the appropriate sized gear for the water .
    if there is a remote chance that bigguns lurk , then i have one setup for them
    and another set up for smaller cats or gills .
    i would love to catch a big cat , but i am satisfied catching whatever
    gets on my hooks .
    except beer cans , twigs , and slimey moss .

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Curt i ONLY fish or hunt for fun. Catchin is just a bonus, i do it because i enjoy being in the outdoors.

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    The best fish I ever seen was a 6oz bluegill that my son caught when he was three. To me if my kids have fun then it was a good trip.:smile2:

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have two mind sets on this thread.when i go fishing for big fish it is mostly because im taking someone to try and get them a pb.some times i go for big fish to prove i can.
    when i go fishing to just have fun i down sise my tackel a nd go to the smaller rivers i have here and just fish.these are the times i like most cause i can relax and it dont matter if i catch a fish or not.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always fish for the fun and never fished with anyone who didn't. I fish and hunt for fun and food ,that is my main priority when going. If a big one steps in my way, even better but I dont go for that reason. My first priority when fishing and hunting is food and fun, family stuff. I've never been a trophy hunter or trophy fisherman. I will take one if it happens and use my bragging rights but it aint why I go or look for when there.
    I plan on much fun fishing this summer

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I always fish for the fun of it but I'm always hunting for my Pb along the way. I'm not good enough to pick spots where only the big one's are holding so I just fish, fish and fish. Each fish that is caught is fun is for me. I complement each fish for its own uniqueness and then usually release them.
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    For me the fun starts at the tackle shop. Then I have more fun tying rigs and organizing my gear. The next fun I have is planning the trip with the guys...where we are going, what bait etc. Then I have fun putting all my packed gear by the front door the night before my trip, set my alarm and stare at the darn clock all night.

That morning my fun begins right away...coffee smells good, TV / weather is on, I make my lunch ( it usually looks so good I eat alittle for breakfast ). Then I even have fun loading my jeep up.

By now its only 4am and the fun is already there. My drive, I love it, nobody on the road and the deer are out..it even smells different don't it ?

My next fun is meeting up with the guys. Usually the first thing we talk about is how we couldn't all sleep...like little kids we couldn't wait to go fishing. Next fun.......ready the boat and hook her up cause we are off to the bait shop. This is where the fun starts feeling real. I love looking at the bait, it's fun, not sure why but I have fun filling the tank up.

After that we hit the water and the actual fishing starts...the real fun. We all have our own way we fish and why. I myself are one of them " hunt the big one's ", it don't matter why to anyone but me. What's important is that I'm having a blast doing it. My point is that there is so much more fun to it than wetting my lines. Things such as preparation,nature, weather, teamwork, conversation, the list goes on.

I do have to admit that my favorite part is catching a big one, take a pic , let em go ; )

This is my #20.2 pb I caught this week......man I had fun !!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2054.jpg

-JimmyJonny-

19. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Curt,
    I agree with you 100%. I've done the toruney fishing bit. When I was doing that I woke up one morning and realized that fishing had become almost like a job and I was working at it and not having any fun doing it. I was Bass fishing 100% of the time back then. After I "seen the light" I picked up my crappie rigs again, started fly fishing for blue gill, and started catfishing like I did when I was a kid. Now fishing is fun!!!!! I catch fish and take game to eat. I do keep fish (not all, I release most of the one's over 10lbs) and I do shoot deer. I don't want to see catfiishing go the way of bass fishing. I don't want a lot of pressure on "My River". I want to experience the sun rise and Gods creation waking up without seeing anyone on the river or hearing the roar of a fast boat. I want to see Gods daytime creatures head for bed and the nite time creatures come to life. Quite, peaceful, relaxing, rods loading up, reels screaming, and catfishing rolling. That's what I call fun.:wink:

20. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Any fishin' is fun fishin' for me. i just like getting out there and being on the water.:cool2: