What hand-me-down tackle do you cherish?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jeremiad, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Okay, I admit that I hijacked Catfish Kenny's thread when I mentioned the hand-me-down knife that I received from my grandfather. This knife is one of my most precious possessions because it came from him, he used it as his main bait and fishing knife, and it still serves me well, too.

I suppose that if it ever stopped working well for me, I could put in some fancy display case or something, but that's a shameful end for a decent knife, I think.

What kinds of fishing equipment have you inherited along the way that you still use and cherish?

BTW, my grandfather is still living and doing well, but his fishing days are over.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a bamboo rod of my grandfaters.
    My dad left me his boat and a handful of fishing rods , but I really like the penn 209, abu 5500 and 550 mag

3. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recieved my great grandfathers bait knife and sheath. And some hand carved topwater musky baits. The baits are hung up in my living room, but the knife still gets used.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have THREE of my grandfathers split bamboo flyrods tucked away in my closet in my gunsafe:wink:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Seems no one in my family fished much,,, Didn't get anything from them except a raised eyebrow, and grief, about fishin and hunting!!

So, I got to thinkin about this thread,, and realized ,, I've been donating stuff to future generations,, that one day maybe they'll think is hand me-downs,,,
    I kinda like that,,,:wink:

6. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    1 split bamboo fly rod
    1 auto fly reel
    1 book of flys
    1 downrigger rod & reel

But, the most important one of all...an old collapsible JC Higgins rod with a small baitcaster reel. It was what I learned to fish with. It has some super old black dacron on it too.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Most of my Rods and Reels and tackle are collected from somebody somewhere.... Not much in the family type cherishing idea though.

However I cherish the Red Rocket!

Custom modified Abu Garcia 5500 with a bait clicker that it didn't originally have, and super smooth drag washers. Handed down to me from Greg/snagged2 after he got it all beefed up for me. And it was a Gift, so I can call it a hand me down.

This thing is a dream with 80 pd power pro braid on it. I can accurately cast right into any hole and still manage to pull the bigguns out of the crap they call home.:cool2:

Attached Files:

8. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I have my grandfather's old black Mitchell spinning reels and some old Eagle Claw rods. I have his tackle box full of old hooks and rooster tail spinners.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    This thread and my post above got me to thinking about when I was a kid and fishing with my grampa. Those two reels I mentioned above.... One is a small medium weight reel and the other one is the bigger saltwater model. I used to use the small one on a small rod and my grampa used to use the bigger one on a HUGE pole. I can remember bugging him all the time about letting me cast his big rod. I was a pretty small kid and he used to tell me I had to wait till I was bigger. lol Anyways...We used to go down to Virginia Beach every year for a week. There was this huge pier we used to fish off of. It was usually my cousins and me and my grampa. One year, I guess I was about 6 or so, we are fishing and he has to go back to our beach house for something. As soon as he said "I'll be right back" I just lit up because as soon as he set foot off that pier I was gonna cast that rod if it killed me. So he starts walking and gets about 25 feet away and stops and turns and tells my older cousin that we needed to leave his pole alone. That crap went in one ear and out there other. As soon as he was gone I grabbed that sucker, pulled that gigantic bail back, wound up (without looking behind me of course) and let er rip. Keep in mind it was elbow to elbow fisherman on the pier not to mention he had this old school steel leader rig on with like 3 hooks and this gigantic sinker hanging down on the bottom of the rig that must have been 3 or 4 ounces. lol Right when I tried to throw it out there after my backswing, one of the hooks caught this guy behind me right in the ear!! The dude starts yelling but I didnt hear anything. I just tried to cast it out as far as I could. lol As soon as I figured out what was going on, I dropped the rod and took off running. lol My grampa was pretty upset with me and I had to stay in for the rest of the day while my cousins got to fish. The cool thing though was I heard my uncles and my grampa joking about it that night when we were supposed to be sleeping. He told my uncle that he was surprised it took me as long as it did to try something like that. lol Man those sure were the days. All I cared about was fishing and spending time with my grandfather. Life was good. I cant wait till I have grandkids of my own.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That is hilarious, Jay (except for the poor guy who got snagged :tounge_out:)!

I appreciate all of the interesting responses so far.

I forgot to mention that my grandfather has also provided me his fly fishing outfit, including two rods and one reel.

The reel is a spring-loaded kind that winds up on take-out and rewinds on retrieve by hitting a lever. I use the reel every time I fly fish, but it's love-hate all the way. The spring never has enough Umph to retrieve the line all the way, so I have to manually wind the reel by turning the cover. Of course, the designer placed a tension-release switch right in the way so that I wind, wind, wind, then hit the button inadvertently, then Ugh! I start winding again.

I'm starting to get the hang of the reel, and would consider replacing it with a new, fancy one either. :roll_eyes:

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well ive had a lot of my grandpas dads stuff passed down to me like antique lures, leader holders, etc.. and it truly means the world. You just cant find nothin like it in stores today.:roll_eyes:

12. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I inherited my dad's heavy duty spinning rod and reel he got for his retirement party. Every time I look at it or pick it up I remember the time I saw him hook into a king salmon with it when we were on vacation. I also inherited his Plano aluminum hip roof tackle box. Don't think they even offer aluminum anymore. One look into it and I can readily see he was much more organized than I am, everything in place. We went on many fishing trips and I remember all of them.

:cool2:

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    still have my dad's old sears metal tackle box and his pflueger trump baitcaster, i still use the tackle box at times but the reel, man thats one hard reel to use at least for me, how he ever used it is beyond me, talk about major bird nests :roll_eyes::smile2:

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i got an ancieant green old pal tackle box here by my desk that was my granpas. :big_smile::cool2:

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My grandpa died in 1958,, in a truck wreck,,, I would have been 6-7 at the time,,,,,I never got to fish with him,,,, when My grandma died in the 70s, I was given his oars,,,,,I have them saved in the basement,,, they do not get used,,,,I think they are made out of cedar,, as they are real light,, no finish on them any more.

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my dad doesn't fish any more but i have his berkley cherrywood rod with his mitchell 300 on it and i have his fly rod and reel. neither set up has any monetary value but the sentimental value is priceless. still remember watching him battle some nice fish on those set ups. they are full of good memories for me.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my dad had a custom made rod that his brother got him as a gift. i always thought it was the coolest alot of the locals that i fished with had a couple. he let me use it most of the time :big_smile: its probally 20yrs old and showing, guides comming loose tip groved yellowing finish but cap gone so ive decided to give it a face lift.

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Unfortunately, I don't have any cherished hand me downs. That wouldn't have been likely seeing that my father's hobby was in a bottle. Sad but true. I still have some equipment that is over 30 years old and still good. I worked for everything I have. At this point it doesn't appear that I'll have anyone to pass my stuff on to.

19. festus

festus New Member

My father left quite a bit of fishing tackle, including an old South Bend spinning reel on a 7' fiberglass rod. There was a big Old Pal 5 or 6 tray tackle box loaded with trotline hooks, bass lures, and panfish lures. A couple of these plugs are collectors items, such as Doll Top Secret and an original Big O. He also left a few more spinning outfits, along with a Zebco 606 combo, which is actually a sturdy outfit. There was also a dozen each of Rebel floating minnows in both the 3-1/2 and 4-1/2 inch lengths, along with a card of Beetle Spins.

My great uncle left me 2 old steel rod baitcaster outfits. One is a Shakespeare Triumph 1958 model. Also a neighbor gave me a steel fly rod with a Pfleuger Progress reel. I used the reel on a South Bend fly rod in the 1960's I bought for about $2.99. Yes, I said $2.99, inflation is amazing.

20. festus

festus New Member

Stoney, as I mentioned in my previous post, I have one of those old Pflueger baitcasters also. If you use a 1 oz. weight, they will cast pretty good, even though they don't have a free spool button.