What habitat holds the most flathead catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, May 28, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have been flathead fishing the Kansas river the last 2 years, and have caught a couple dozen 20 pounders, and 4 between 30 and 39lbs. I keep hoping to catch a real big one, but no luck yet. I was wondering what other anglers looked for in a real good flathead spot. Here is my list.

1. Good underwater wood cover, old snags with multiple trees preferred.
    2. Decent depth, 2-4 feet at least where fishing with 8-20ft within 10yds
    3. Some current flow with a noticable current break to fish behind.
    4. Enough of a clear path to pull flathead from the snag.
    5. Good flathead spots nearby, not just 1 good spot in a long stretch

Just curious what other anglers are looking for in their perfect spot?

2. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Sounds good to me. I wouldnt ignore the one good spot in a long section. That spot will have fish in it no matter what. It wont produce many but there will be fish there.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Heath. Looks like some excellent fish in your album. How do you like your mudd motor?

4. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Don't ignore creeks either.A 70 lb flattie got caught out a creek a couple years ago.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good advice from everyone. I love finding the big cats and with my limited experience on the river I am always looking for others ideas.

On the other question, I love my mud motor so far, I have only had it a week but it is the best way to get around on the Kansas I have used yet. Short of an airboat or tunnel hull jet boat which cost way more I think it is the best option. Prop wear will be an issue, but I map the channel my first confident trip with my GPS so I can avoid the sandbars whenever possible. The river is pretty low right now, the tubes at the lake above are shut down, so this week has been a good test. I can run on plane it 3-4" of water with 2 people and 600lbs of motor and gear. Don't slow down in the shallows though, or you will be pushing. I have a 31hp on a 1648 lowe modifed V.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to see vertical banks into deep water near shallow water or riffles.
    Bridge pillars.
    Spots where trees hang down into deep water.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like I need to be following you around asking questions!!!

Put your and boombalaty's post together and I think that's money.

I'm really starting to try and find that out of sight cover, generally wood that isn't even disrupting the surface. Been spending more time staring at the depthfinder looking for wood on the bottoms of flat runs. My son's 32 the other night was in just such an area..........steep bank, relatively deep water (5'), close to real deep water (15+), and unseen cover.

Where you at on the river, if ya don't mind me asking??

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How old is your son Charlie? I caught my first and only "big" cat when I was 14. 42lb flattie. That will be a great memory for your son forever!

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The natural place for a big flathead to be is at the head of a relatively
    big hole just downstream from a tributary creek behind some current
    break like a big rock or deadfallen tree. He waits there in the pocket
    of slack water, watching things drift by in the current. After he has
    eaten, he swims to the bottom of the big hole to rest until he gets
    hungry again. If some other fish is in his feeding station, he will
    trounce them soundly, then return to sorting through the stuff
    coming by. Find as many advantages as you can think of and there
    will be a hungry flathead at that spot some time on the clock.
    Bet on it!

10. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually fish between Manhattan and Topeka somewhere. Not really set on one spot, I like to explore. I want to try the area below Lawrence later this year, I have heard great things about the river down there. More numbers of the really big ones, not the 20-40lbs we seem to have where I fish. Those are great, but I am really looking to break 50.

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Biologists sampling the Kansas or Kaw River recently found the largest
    concentration of big flatheads on the river to be just above Bowersock
    Dam near Lawrence. Trouble is, bad access. Load the dice, brother!

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Matt, my son is 12. At 12 my PB was probably a 3lb bass, still kicking myself in the arse for not remembering my phone has a camera:sad2:

Heath, Michael is right about the study KSU did. With a mud motor you have access though, Lecompton ramp and area is shallow and upstream from Bowersock is deep enough till KP&L then it get's hard to run. You would be able to get your boat below the boards at Bowersock, but that's a call on your part. Give me a yell if decide to run down this way and need a passenger. Catdaddy took an 80+ flatty above Bowersock.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The area that I fish doesnt have too much of the typical wood piles and such but I do know that the river bank by my favorite hole has vegetation that extends a few yards out into the water. Its pretty thick too. The fish that I hook often run right for the vegetation so Im pretty sure that they squeeze in there and hide out.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Most creek mouths will have some logs laying on the upper point. The flat heads like those. If theres deep water there the better it is.
    pete

15. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I see the KSU students at least monthly here... They sure are a tough crowd to fish behind after they have woke them up.:eek:oooh:

I think the biggest population of any size flats came from between T-town and Bowersock as well.

There is some excellent habitat in the Lecompton area.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    There is a monster logjam near the low water dam in Tecumseh, thats where I would start looking. :wink: