what gun to buy?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by thecatman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok guys what gun should i buy for my first deer hunting rifle i kind of want a 30-30 lever action but what is everyones oppinion on good starter rifles for deer hunting

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a statement that I doubt few would disagree with.
    "Over time, more deer have been killed with a 30-30 than any other round, with almost all of those being with a lever action."

That said, it is a fine choice to start with for most folks. Now, a lot may depend on where you are hunting. Most 30-30 shots are within 150 yards or less, as well as in thick brush. If you hunt an area that is wide open spaces, you might be better off with a different choice.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,I agree mostly ,Except that the 30-30 has been responsible for more GAME that any other rifle. They have killed alot of elk,antelope and hogs too.

If you don't anticipate shots more than 200 yds ,a 30-30 will do fine. If you do then 243,7mm/08,308,370,257,25/06,30/06 will all work and if ya just feel real tough theres a ton of magnums out there.

That being said. Theres no excuse for not shooting all that you ca and really knowing what you and your gun can and will do in certain circumstances. The more you shoot it the better you will understand it and you will gain a wealth of knoweledge about that gun. good luck and good hunting.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i'm not too worried about shooting distance as i have been able to easily sneak up on a lot of wild game before and dont see why i wouldnt beable to now thanks for all the info

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Tom. Thousands of deer are killed annually with a 30-30. I shoot a 270 because of it's ability to shoot greater distances more accurately. Really depends how far ya gonna be shootin and what ya like. I prefer a bolt action but auto's, pumps and lever guns are also good choices. Rugar makes a #1 single shot that i covet. Most of my deer are either dropped the first shot, or i usually miss.:confused2:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I heard a rumor that Countryheart went out and got a new outfit for deerseason this year.:wink:
    He's gonna be a deerslayin machine this fall.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    All i need is a good driver now.:smile2::smile2::smile2: And lots of bullets.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to agree with them all a 30 30 is awesome im not allowed to hunt deer with them here in illinois but i own one and so does my dad and we both love them dearly. Not to mention the ammo isnt outrageous either.

9. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Im with these guys 30 30 is an all round great gun. Its one of those i dont use much anymore cept for hogs because i can shoot greater distances but I will always have one need it or not. Its kinda like an ol faithful. Now i shoot winchester bolt action 270 or 300 ablot stainless stalker.

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have owned a few rifles in recent years, but the one that i ALWAYS take into the woods with me is my 30-30. I have owned and shot a .270, a 30-06, a .308, and a .243, all of which are great firearms if you have the need for them. I still have my 30-06 in case i decide to go somewhere and hunt other game. But i will always own a 30-30.

Good luck this season.

11. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My First Rifle was 25/06 bought it when I was 18yrs old and have it today at 41.
    Remington model 700ADL I would sell it for anything, many deer have fallen to this Caliber and make.
    As far as a so called "brush" gun there is "NO" such thing. Its the construction of the bullet not the caliber that will travel straighter through brush... EVERY BULLET CAN BE DEFLECTED by branches or twigs the size of a toothpick!! if brush is that thick do ya really know what your shooting at?? Be Safe, and good luck! 25/06 has great muzzle velocity and energy and can easily be zeroed in at 250 yds

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    im gonna tell you what most everyone else has. its hard to beat a good ol .30-30 lever action. ive got a marlin that i took my first deer with and i plan to take many a more with it.

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok what brand would be best to get i dont want to spend an arm and a leg for it but i want something nice as well

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've had both Marlin & Winchester, in lever action 30-30. Both are good guns, but the Winchester has the disadvantage of the spent shells being ejected straight up, making a pain to have a scope. It can be done, but still a pain. I have had the Marlin since 1976 and still use it when on drives or still hunting through thick stuff. It's great for quick fast shots, comes to the shoulder easy and quick to line up target.
    I know there are a few other brands out there, but I have not used them.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Lots of choices for you. Nothing wrong with a 30-30. Have always had one but in this part of Texas long shots are the norm so I still use the 30-06, 243,
    25-06 and several other cals first.

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    All the cowboy guns are fun. The 30-30 and 35 rem are often listed in "top dear round" articles. I have 3 other suggestions for you............the .270, the .270, and the um .270.

Richard

17. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Brandon; Well I'm going to say something nobody ever wants to hear, but here go's. "The 30-30 lever action is a very poor choice for deer hunting". I know a lot of deer have been killed with it , but thats because everybody has one. They are "very inaccurate" and have "poor" ballistics they are pretty much a high powered slingshot. I owned and operated a rifle range for years and I saw hundreds of 30-30's come in. I never saw one that would pattern decent at 100yrds. I know what people are going to say, My 30-30 will!!. Well it wont!. The basic design of the rifle is very flawed. If you want a fun rifle to plink with you cant beat a 30-30. However if you want a serious deer rifle PLEASE!!!!! buy something else.

So what to buy?. I know what most people will tell you to get. 3006 or a 270. they are not bad choices however there are better. First the reason why most people buy the top 3 ( 30-30, 3006, 270) is because they are everywhere. Any gun store you go to will have the top three in stock and that can be a big advantage. For instance that means you can find ammo anywhere and thats good.

Here are some better choices. #1 308, #2 280,#3 7wsm.The 3006 is a good round however a 308 is much better. The 308 has very close to the same "power" as a 3006 but is a lot more accurate and is a short action rifle. 308 are known for " Tack driving Accuracy ". I personally have shot thousands of rounds through 308's. Also the recoil is not bad at all. I think this is the best all around choice.

280 vs 270. Ballistics are the same how ever bullet choices for the 270 lack. If you don't already know the 270/280 are necked down 3006 cases. The 280 is necked down to 7mm. the second most popular bullet in the world just behind the 30cal. If you ever get into reloading this is a BIG advantage.

7wsm vs 7mag. (winchester short mag). If you need a long range rifle it's hard to beat the 7wsm. The 7mag is ok but harder to reload and is a long action rifle. The 7wsm is a short action rifle, So you get as much power or more in a smaller rifle. This is because a short fat case burns powder much better than a long thin case. Same for the 308 vs 3006.

I know this is a long drawn out post, But rifles aren't cheap you want to make an informed choice.

Now as far as what brand rifle to buy thats another story. If I can help in anyway feel free to call.

Thanks Steve...66-438-3135

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree I have heard the same thing about accuracy of the 30-30 . That being said I also don't know about sneeking up on deer I have on accasion yes not consistantly . Now I own a 30-30 and use it every season . It was inherited so I will always probably use it . I have shot deer out to about a 90-100 yards no problem . I wouldn't shoot farther than that myself . I know what I am capable of doing with my gun . The best shot was acoyote onthe run probably pushing a 100 yds. First shot was behind the ribs . aA second shot to finish the job. Pick your gun shoot as much as you can . Buy something thats decent that you can afford . Most of al KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS . It doesn't matter if you buy a 270 or 280 or 300 or any of the other calibers plain and simple if you can't put the bullet where it needs to go don't shoot . There are guys that CAN hit deer @ 2 or 300 yds. even with agreat rifle I know my limitations and wouldn't try a 300 yrd. shot I owe the deer that respect to not wound and let it suffer or get away .

19. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You asked what brand, I would say Marlin. They're reasonable priced and will last you forever. I've had one just like everybody else on here. The Winchester top ejection is just a problem that aint worth dealing with.imo

And I pretty much agree with everything catfishsafari said , but, If where you live is anything like where I live most of the deer are killed within 50 yards. A lot of the high powered magnums are over kill.

A dern 22 will kill a deer. It's a thin skinned animal. The last deer I shot with my 270 poked a perfect tiny little hole straight though him. It didn't hit any bones. Luckily I got his heart so he only ran about 50 yards on adrenaline. And I shot that deer from about 15 yards away. My point is if I would have shot him with a slug it probably would have cut him a flip.
    Velocity isn't everything. just my $.02

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    BRUSH GUN,In my opinion a brush gun isn't one you blast at game through brush,But a short well handling gun that you can move through brush with.