what grease or oil for 5500c

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Mar 6, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    had to replace cog wheel and the whole things looks dry

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to BOC Charles, abu reel grease and oil works real well and cost about six bucks for both. It will last a long time, just remember a little goes a long way in your reels. You normally grease your main drive gears and put alittle on your moving parts on the brake plate. You put a drop or two of oil in bearings if you have any. A few drops of oil your worm gear also.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i use quantum hot sauce on all my reels. i try to keep them out of the sand and have never pulled the side plates to check the gear grease. just a drop on the side bearings and a drop or two on the levelwind worm gear keeps my reels smooth.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I too like the Quantum Hot Sauce. Like the others have said a little goes a long way.

5. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I like using Super Lube, Grease on gears, oil on everything else. Super Lube is a silicon based synthetic, seems to hold up well.

I do use the Quantum Hot Sauce on some of my surf casting reels, makes them fly. It's a little thinner, so I re-apply a little more often.

Every Jan / Feb I open my reels and clean and lube them whether they need it or not. :wink:

6. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I use lithium grease...or whatever is left over from my Jeep or boat...It works great for me. :smile2:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    We're a strange bunch. Fishermen, that is. We try to make our reels fly, and then come up with high tech ways to slow 'em back down. Who doesn't like to give a spool a spin, and watch it go and go and...:smile2:

Anyway, there's some stuff called Xtreme Reel Plus that's supposed to put wings on spool bearings. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on my to do list.

8. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    thanks guys for all the heip:smile2: