What good help me land the fish and stay safe

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, May 8, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm wanting to fish this local dam. but there's a 5 foot high fence . then i would say 15 foot drop off. and i hooked a fish the other day. only about 6 pounds and i had to walk it . about 35 yard to were the dam wall slopes down to the water. and its very step and rocky and dangerous. not a good place to fall in the river . the water rushes through there. but my question is . do they make a extendable net. or has anyone ever maid one . i have heard there were good sized flatts there too. but it isn't worth falling in for . well maybe lol. i need somethign to reach over the fence and down or somthing . and ideas . i love this spot. but i about fell several times the other day. and it just isn't safe..... mikefisherman !!!

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    True, it is not safe. That's why there is a fence there. I would fish from the rocks, and cast towards the dam. That way, the fish will probably be coming towards you at least for a bit, and allow you to reel in some line. You'll never be able to hoist a fish over the fence, so I would find a new strategy. JMHO

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the FRABILL website and check out their nets.They have some with extension handles.:smile2:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you are going to eat the fish use a gaff.dont reccomend it for c p r

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    take a big ring or the handle off a regular net. so you just got the ring and net. on one side of the ring . weight it down. make it heavy so it sinks straight down better . and on the other side attatch a rope. so when i lowered it by the rope. the weighted side was faceing down you knnow . get the fish in the net. and pull it up ?? its the only thing i can think of

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    You might check some saltwater sites, I have seen people fishing from piers that used some type of net on a rope. I didn't get a close look at them, but saw a guy land a red that looked about 30 lbs with one.

Jim

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    THese guys got it right, take a big net and tie a rope to it in three places and then you can lower it down below the fish and pull up.

8. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I'd recommend a bridge gaff if you're planning on keeping the fish to eat. It's basically a giant lead weighted treble hook attached to a rope. I use one when I go pier fishing and it's well worth it.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    mike, i took a painters extention pole and put it on my net to reach a similar spot. the octagon handle just happpened to fit over the net handle. i used a screw to hold it on. i think my net is a frabill.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Take a big dipnet and cut off the handle. Take 3 3 foot sections of rope and tie them equal distance apart around the net. Take the three tag ends and tie them together. Tie your long rope to the three knotted together and do the dam dance. I hand holding the rod... (stick it in the fence with the fish at the service. Drop the net down to the fish, drag it sideways and drag the fish up the wall. It has been known to develop big muscles but is safer than scaling Mt Everest!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chris beat me to it. Bridge gaffs were developed for landing fish from bridges and piers, where you are a good distance above the water, with no way to get down to it.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    when we fished the piers in Washington we used a crabnet. It is just a big hoop that is heavy with net bottom. u tie this to the fense and lower it into the water then move fish onto net and pull net up. Worked great for salmon and small sharks

13. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    you all always come through for me . when i am a man in need. you got to love this place huh. well i do think i'm going to try a few things recomended. and soon . next 30 days or so . ands i will let you know if anything worked out or not. thanks everyone