What gives you the most joy when catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Sep 8, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I was sitting at home thinking about catfishing(like I do alot when I'm not at the lake doing it) and I was trying to decide what things about catfishing really make me smile,so I thought I would share some thoughts and hope you do too.

#1 in my book has to be taking a new person out catfishing and putting them on the biggest fish they have ever caught,the look on there face and excitement really makes me happy.

#2 is probably the release of a big fish,I'm not always a catch and release guy and take my share for the table,but releasing a trophy fish to fight again another day makes me happy.

#3 is the joy of relaxing and sitting around fishing with a old or new friend talking about ideas and techniques used in our love of fishing,it doesn't matter if we are in the boat or on the bank,a good companion that enjoys the same sport as I do is always welcome to share my fishin' spots.

so what do you like about catfishing the most?

2. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Drinking Beer:crazy:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    GOT TO BE THE NIGHTS YOU HAVE NO BITES AT ALL AND THEN THE CLICKER TAKES OFF LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL..SET THE HOOK AND IT DOTN BUDGE AN INCH...

of course i follow that with a few minute fight and lose the fish damn near every time, but its still my favorite part

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Knowing that there is almost no chance of me needin to get out the fish cleanin' supplies when I get home.:wink:

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  6. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I just love even being out there!, Knowing that the chance is good that I'm not going to catch anything, but hey.. if there is a fish in that water thats going to swallow the 6 inch bluegill I got on my hook than it makes the countless hours WORTH IT :big_smile:

7. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    The thing I enjoy the most is the company I am keeping. The joy is in sharing the moment, the idea, the catch, the joke, or the quiet. And sometimes there is only me but I still enjoy the company. Because I know I am the smartest guy in the boat for once.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Peace and solitude.

9. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    not being at work!!!!! knowing some bass fisherman won't have a chance in hell to hook a 100 lb bass but i might hook a 100lb cat:wink: and b.s.ing with who ever i'm with.. trying new things like me and bone cracker did... me and skawez and his boys freezin' our butt's off in feb. trying to catch a fish and not ice flows... and last but not least save the best for last... talkin' about old times at the bus with chris:crazy:..( some of that shouldn't be released to the public till we die)...LOL oh i also forgot watching a guy miss every fish because of crappy hooks..:smile2:

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Watching that youngin reel in a really nice fish. On you would have been proud to catch yourself, but your prouder to let them catch it.

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Seeing my line stretch. Not just stretch , but pull HARD!!
    Panoramic view before me , depending upon where I go.
    Peace and quiet.
    Time to reflect upon past week , or workday , dependent upon when I go.
    The possibility of hooking a monster!!

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Ya know i dont think there is anything really to not like about cat fishin.. be it the kids first fish or the anglers first PB and everything in between. the calmness of the whole thing or the moment it all shatters as the pole doubles over, or maybe when you jump at the sight of the twitch of the pole out of the corner of your eye. The experiences made the times being talked about, the ppl you meet the friends you make and the places you go.
    I cant say cat fishin is the best sport in the world... but i aint found one thats better!!

13. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    there is not alot of joy in my life...so catfishing to me is just being able to dis-connect from everything...

last nite I was out fishing the canal for 6 hours...I didn't get a bite all nite but just being out there is good enuff 4 me

14. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Realax, talk about the week with my fishin buddy, drink a few, and just another chance to catch that monster with that huge bluegill with my so called ridiculous pole set ups, which in case i do lay into that big one the only thing I have to worry about is my hook breaking....and like said earlier to just get away and just gettin out there! Good post!

15. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Thank you...

This and eating whatever i catch. (given its the appropriate size. Nothing over 10#s)

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    After I been sitting there awhile and getting really bored, my line floating on top of smooth calm water, all of a sudden it starts to move, then it moves faster, all the slack comes out, and it runs straight from the rod tip to the water, then the rod bends waaaayyyyy over and I know its been worth it.

17. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    The adrenaline rush of the fight; time slows down with a big fish on the other end.

18. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I love everything about it! Whether I'm by myself or with friends, catching fish or not. It's the best way I know how to escape from the rush of everyday life and just slow things down for a bit and get your mind right. But I really love the experience of taking someone along who has never caught a catfish before and helping them get their first. It's usually the same reaction - "Cool! I finally caught one!" "It's ugly,I'm not touching that thing!" "Oh S%$T! it poked me!" "You unhook it." "Cool. Let's do that again!" And then they're hooked (pardon the pun) :big_smile:

19. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    There are hundreds of things i can list as far as the most joyful thing I love about fishing but to save time i will try to name a few without augh....sounding tooo girly

First off, Fishing the number 1 choice for my hubby and I. When we are on the fishing bank we do not chat about how high this bill is or how he might lose his job tomorrow. Try not to talk about my back problems or anything negative. We are fishing...Hubby works a off shift compared to me so it has been our time together to share with others or to share alone....Time to chat about the kids and the good things they are doing.
    Meet new friends and chat til the day is through.

Secondly, I am sure if ya read my posts you might of guessed my job is very stressful at times. I am a small business owner and in my type of business you have 8 months to basically make the years sales or you are done. In this day in time small businesses are hurting but with management you can budget and keep a float......... buy right and manage but then again this is all very stressful...When I am at work I am the business owner talking the talk selling a product and all that goes with it. When I am on the fishing bank I can be me, act silly, goof off, call the kitties, and have a great time....Pink pole included........My prozac is My fishing

The fellowship and the friends ya meet can not compare. Watching kids fish, catch one, and seeing the smiles is the bestest thing ever. Seeing a child's face on the bank get all a glow when they bring one in or run up the rocks (CATHOG) or even pass out because the fishing day was through gives me joy.

The fishing bank gives ya all kinds of opportunities....To stop take the time to watch the birds look up at the sky and see what God has given us that we have taken for granted during the workweek. There is a kind of beauty ya can't see anywhere esle than the fishing bank.
    Now the good part. The rush of that line pulling the fish hooked and reeling it in that can not be left out of course....
    But fishing to me is way more....catching one is a great thing but if today aint my day I still get to feel all the other stuff and feels pretty good coming in second too! WINK!

20. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    the thing i like about it most is watching my son bring in a fish,his excitement is priceless and makes it all worth it,most of the time he out fishes me lol