What gets you in the holiday spirit

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ketch, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The holidays are a mostly frustrating time for me. All the time spent trying to find this or that perfect gift, trying to figure out what in the world the wife wants, trying to keep gifts hidden until wrapped, and keeping the kids out of them until Christmas arrives. Then there is trying to figure out how to schedule it with our immediate family, my family, the wife's family, and company obligations. Suprising anyone gets happy about the holidays.

A few things get me in the spirit before the big day.

Sitting alone at the kitchen table in the middle of the night wrapping gifts so no one else can see. My wife thinks I should use gift bags, but I despise them things as much as I despise gift cards. How much thought and effort go into that? Different wrapping paper for each individual so it's easier to tell when I hand them out on Christmas day. The boys presents will be wrapped in Cars, the daughters will be in Hannah Montana giftwrap. The wife will get something shiny and fancy with a curled ribbon, I think she likes that. Every corner and crease will be sharp. Spent 4 hours wrapping the treasures from our first round of gifts we purchased.

Every year I decide on one home made gift to give to everyone. Last year the daughter, my brother-in-law, and his wife all got routed nameplates that I burned to go above the horses stalls. The wife got a much needed shoe rack with a few less spots than she had shoes (she didn't get the hint), the boy got his first chair of his own, built strong enough to hold my considerable weight. My brother and his wife got a cedar mailbox for the home they were finally able to buy. Mom got some shelves for all the knick knacks she has.

The last thing that really gets me in the spirits before the big day is when everything is a paid for and under the tree.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mostly just BAH HUMBUG!

All the kids nowadays just want the cold hard cash. Pay up HOMIE and it better be a bunch!

Soory, but that s the way it seems.

What happened to the days when we were younger when actual presents (god forbid) were under the tree and you anxiosly awaited the day you could open them and be suprised?

The magic is gone. Now its gift cards and cold hard cash. And the kids seem to give you the 'stink eye' if it doesn't apprear to be enough green to satisfy the machine!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I am done now.

Happy Holidays!!!!!:smile2:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last year I tried to get my little girls with that bag of coal bubble gum.....It backfired ofcourse Coutrtney my wild lill girl was like cool I got bubble gum.She didnt care ife she ggot another thing........................................
    I am in the Baaa-HUMBUG mood right know but I am sure my kids will bring me out of it when the time comes .They do tend to have a way about themselfes but I am not big n the holidays.

4. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    We celebrate Christmas at our house. I love the magic of Santa Claus. With the children getting older, I'm hoping for another year of that magic.

The Nativity scene is one of the first things we put out. THAT magic is more special in our house than Santa. We have fun moving the pieces as the day grows closer. It's all representative and we don't get bogged down with what day was REALLY the day, etc. The baby Jesus is placed in the manger Christmas morning before anything else, usually before the children wake up. Last year, they put Him in there before they came and woke us up.

I love to see the catalogs coming in the mail and the children rushing to get thier turn marking their wishes. I love the smell of the pine scented liquid potpourri that I simmer on top of the fireplace. I love to see the cat try to battle the ornaments on the tree....even if I do yell at her for doing so. I love it when George (my husband) gets a little silly and wears those red flannel boxers with the white fuzzy trim.

Nope.. .no bah humbug here... Bring it on!

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You got that right! My Grand Kids want cash. That sux! It makes me want to give everyone socks and underwear. Last year I bought one of them an electric guitar and amplifier. She hasn't touched it since. I should have just sent a card and $20 instead of making a 10 hour round trip to deliver the $300 guitar and amp.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SNOW:smile2: SNOW:smile2: AND:smile2: MORE SNOW!!:eek:oooh::crazy:

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love the way the house smells from a real Christmas tree.

I like to play Christmas music.

I like egg nog though my wife and kids dont...it's to thick for them.

I still love to watch the Christmas specials...Charlie Brown, The Grinch etc...

and I also like to see family members that I dont otherwise get to see all year.

8. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Christmas spirit is baa humbug till christmas eve. I get sick of trying to figure out how we are gonna afford presents. Always seem to get em though.

When my older 2 were little, I loved putting up the tree. Get a real tree, burn apple cinnamon candles, and play christmas music and sing along while trimming that tree.

Not just any music would do though. Had to be "Chipmonks Christmas".
    Tried to find it when I moved, it was gone.:sad2: I have looked for the last couple of years trying to find another copy, just to make the kids laugh.
    This year I have the internet, now I bet I can get it.:big_smile:

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe I should put my copy on ebay . Then I could buy the wife a present. LOL Its a record album. Not a cd.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I really, honestly, no bull Love Christmas.

Nancy goes to Chicago to her folks every year for Christmas.

The only present I buy is for Nancy and she picks it out.

My kids haven't spoken to me for the last 12 years. No presents to buy.

I won't let Nancy put up Christmas decorations, because she isn't home anyhow. Nice and peaceful around here. No blinking lights, No tree. No singing Santa Clause.

Christmas Eve, I go to bed about seven o'clock.

Christmas Day I give the dogs, horse, cats, and guineas a special treat for the special day.

I drink a half dozen beers during the day and I am in bed by seven o'clock again.

I really look forward to Christmas every year, I really do. John.

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The wife loves x-mas but I really don't care about it. If it were'nt for the kids I would not particpate at all. The only thing that gets me excited around his time of year is knowing spring is the next season.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    won't say i'm all bah humbug, but never get into the spirit really. my kids never get me anything usually. if they do, it's socks. all but the two youngest (4yr olds, and i fake for them) grandkids want is money. i usually go up and visit a couple of days just to see the grandkids. give cards with gift cards in them. let parents go to store with kids. some times, i just stay home. own a tree that hangs on wall and is 20 inches high. good enough. weather is good, rather go fishing.
    i used to love the putting toys together, wrapping presents, trees, lights. ect. helping cook the dinner. not no more. like postbeetle now, could stay home, drink a few beers, watch tv and go to sleep.
    gary

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just thinking what This special day is All about gets me goin. That is reason beyond reason to me ,plus I love to watch the kids and grandbaby open thier gifts.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    John, the many things that you have written and the romantic way that you have represented your self on this board I find it hard to believe you don't embrace the same holiday spirit of the majority here. Reject the allure of bovine buncombe and give in to the merriment and joy that this seasons promises. Beat the dog if you have to, but don't beat your self.............:wink:

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jack Holsky, sir. Thanks you for those remarks, I appreciate it. Jack I sent ya an e-mail as regards your Dr Phil stuff to me. Can I be on the show?

Keep your lip zipped about what I told ya in the mail. But now you know "the rest of the story". You at least might get a smile on your face if you read my stuff knowing where I am coming from. Gotta go find Boots and see if he wants to drink beer with me on Christmas day. He has to bring his own 6 pack though. Do they have beer in Indiana? So many Amish there they probably only drink goats milk.

Thanks again Jack. John.

P.S. Don't wear those antlers out in the woods this time of the year. They will think you are a Polish deer and make Polish dumplings to go with you for dinner.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use to realy get turned on by xmas till a couple years ago when my family decided to put a minimum price of 200 dollars on the gifts we gave at xmas dinner.i still go for dinner but i dont stay for the gift giving.my wife puts up our silver xmas tree that weve had for 30 years and we sit around and watch the xmas programs on tv and talk so its pretty good.we dont buy each other presents any more but i fix dinner and wash dishes so she gets a present of sorts and thats pretty much it.

18. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I think my Grand daughter has more to do with getting me in the holiday spirit than anything else. She is the magic of Christmas for me.

19. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, we are among those with no dough for Xmas. It's amazing how having no money will really simplify your shopping. At my age (52) it is difficult to find that 'happy' switch that you are supposed to flip on just because it is December. Christmas for me is a gloomy sad time of year. Too many memories of the not so lovely past. I've got no religion, no kids and no patience for those who go 'round with the "Merry Christmas" mantra on their lips. January comes soon enough with tax bills, insurance bills and mortgage payments. I'm no Scrooge, no Bah Humbug, but I'd just as soon be left alone and allowed to ignore the holiday. Just one more month of scratching and working and trying to stay a half step head of the banker and tax man. Merry Grimble.

20. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Here at our house the Holidays starts Thanksgiving, that's when we eat too much (and some drink too much), we draw names and the confusion begins.
    We use to decorate our yard and the outside of the house with so many lights it looked like daytime everynight. I put some kind of Xmas decor in every room. We had the same Santa Clause for 42 years, the kids were sure that he was the real one because he was the same in every Chrismas picture.

Three years ago George decided he didn't want to decorate out side anymore He said he was tired of doing it and I can't say that I blame him, he has done it the last 42 years. I admit it took a lot of enjoyment out of my Christmas, but we still have kids, grandkids and greatgrand kids that spend
    Christmas and that means a lot to me

John do you have to be so honest about Xmas! LOL