what gauge wire

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by cliff n york, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    im rewireing a 16 ft flat bottom boat, the trolling motor is a 12volt, i want to use 6 gauge wire, but cant find any wire terminals of any kind. can anyone help

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The terminals for the heavier wire gauges arent going to be the colored, insulated, stake on terminals you are probably use to seeing, they will be bare metal and made of heavier material. Your average stake on crimpers wont do the job on these either. I bought my terminals at an electrical supply house, along with the crimpers. Use good heat shrink tubing (the ones with glue inside) to finish the terminal. Good luck.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Or if you have a propane torch laying around and some solder, crimp them as tight as you can get them, then flux and solder them. Heat shrink and you're ready to go. Doesn't take but a second to solder them and mine that I did that way are holding up fine. Good Luck!

Branden

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I was able to find good quality connectors for 8ga wire at an auto audio store. I don't remember if they made them for 6ga.

5. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Get you some 3/8 and 5/16 and 1/4 inch ID copper tubing, and if you want to terminate at a screw terminal just flatting one end and drill the hole size you need. Solder it to your wire with some rosin core solder and use some shrink tubing on the solder side and there you have it. You can pick up some copper tubing in short lengths at Ace Hardware or the back of any ice making machine you might have laying around that doesent work... cheers