What fishing line for steelhead

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by kat buster, Mar 11, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What pound test should I use for steelhead in the river. I will probably be casting mainly crankbaits and spoons on a M 7ft ugly stick. Thank you for your time.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never fished for steelhead but I would think any you use for catfish may be one of the guys who have will tell you and I hope you catch some whoppers:0a18:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never fished for steelhead either but I would use a premimum line in a flourocarbon or mono. something like id use for finess fishing bass,where the light line/visibility might spook fish.

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Id use for your 7 ft rod 8 lb test with a good reel and smooth drag. People use longer poles with less lb test. But for your 7 ft rod use 8lb test (10 lb tops!)If you think 8 lb is too small for steelhead? I seen my friend take these steelhead with 8 ft rod with 4 pound test! check em out.

Attached Files:

5. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    couple of questions.. what river are you fishing off of, are you fishing by bank or by boat? Bank anglers, and lots of boat anglers, use a long 8'6 to 10'6 length rod usually. I have several and I enjoy the 9'6 or 10'6 rod more because it mends easier. As for what line to you, since most steelhead fishing in the river is during the winter when the water is freezing or near freezing, you need to buy a line that doesnt coil up from the cold, that would probably have to be a copolymer line. I enjoy using Silver Thread, the AN40 model is quite cheap, about $4.99 per spool of 300 yards.. Virtually all good steelhead fisherman I know use line from 6-10 lb test. I would say go with an 8 lb test and if you want, put 6 lb line on as a leader.. i use fluorocarbon leadres b/c they sink faster and are straighter, so i know its riding the bottom easier. do not steelhead fish with anything more than 20 lbs.. some people get away with trolling with 15 lbs but if you're tossing nightcrawlers, shrimp or spawn sacks at them, 8 lb test is great, I don't have too many problems.. As far as reel, get a reel with about 6 lb / 200 yard capacity. Lots of Daiwas and Shimanos have around this much .. Daiwa 2500 sizes and the Shimano 2500 sizes are both around this much, they will work perfectly... invest in a somewhat decent rod, make sure its got fairly good backbone for a hookset, unless you like noodle rods.. i would advise against a BPS ultra light rod... the average steelhead rod goes from about $40-100 dollars, with a lot of guys buying the more expensive G Loomis and St Croix ... i have no problems with my Browning Six Rivers steelhead rod, its a little heavy though, but i got it for a good deal.. check ebay too if you want

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I used to fish 12'5" Kunan rod with 6lb test and a fourlb leader. I would lose a good number of fish to the current, however, I would hook up 5-10x more than surrounding fisherman with the same bait and heavier line. I believe the extra sensitivity of the longer rod, along with and more importantly the lighter leader were the keys to my success. I fished the Oswego river in the coldest temps of the year. Die hard steelhead fisherman are a special breed. Props to you.....hope I helped.

Richard

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    D.J.

Listen to me and you have a much greater chance of hook-up.

Use 4 or 6lb seagar flourocarbon as your line (it's expensive as hell).

I know seasonal steelhead fishermen and that's what they use and I've seen pics of the numder of fish they catch.

Give it a try and let me know.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I don't know what river you are fishing, but I'm from Michigan and I've been fishing Steelhead for more than twenty-five years now, so here is my 2 cents worth.
    I mostly drift spawn, so I have a 9ft Browning rod with a 4000 Shamano reel, with two spools. One has 8lb. ( for casting baits) and the other has 6lb. (for drifting spawn). When I drift spawn, I use a 4ft. 4lb leader. I loose a lot of fish, but I get a lot more hook ups than the average fisherman.
    If you are just casting, with your 7ft rod, I would use 8lb test. As you keep fishing and hooking Steelhead, you will see the advantage of a longer rod. You can catch any Steelhead in the state of Michigan on 4lb test line, if you have a long rod and a good reel to fight it with. Taking your time and not horsing the fish is the key. Let the rod do the work. Remember, this is not Catfishing, this is Trout fishing.
    I hope this helps.
    Sparky

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have found that 8# mono with a 12# leader is good.

10. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I know im a little late but here are my steehead rigs #1 rig not for the faint hearted 10'6" noodle rod browning syntec(no longer made) dick swan signature rod 4# seagar flouro carbon pro shimano symetre 2500 size. #2 rapala tounament series ML 10'6" rod okuma epixor 30 size reel with 6 or 8# test same line when they are not as skiddish or off color water most important thing is good drag and play the fish oh yeah you might have to do some fancy foot work oh as we say on the oswego coming down you ever seen a chinese fire drill thats the appearance of it on the oswego when the bite is on. good luck next time out.

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    try 8 with that rod