what fishfinder should I get? 597 or 480?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by roadkill636, Jan 23, 2010.

1. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    >
    Im straddling the fence on buying the hummingbird 597ci . it is at the top of my price range that I would spend, but I dont know if I really need all that it has to offer, I do want the GPS speedometer.I only fish 2 diffrent rivers (Missouri and Mississippi) and 1 large lake (Mark Twain) and dont really ever "get lost" and cant find my way back, but I do like the idea of having all the "toys" navagation features just to play with.
    I have the $ to buy it, and not behind or late on ANY bills or anythingI had a eagle 320 about 7-8 years ago and liked playing with it, but Iv been without a finder science. just thought I might be time for a new toy for the boat this year.
    or do you think I should step down and buy something like the hummingbird 480 for arround $200.

Just open to opinions on weather to get the 597 or 480 model
    [​IMG]
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_250-3-0
    or

or[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Eagle+-+...=1218106986644

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    hey bro I have a Humminbird 141C and I wasn't expecting too much out of it, but that little thing impressed the heck out of me. I also wanted to upgrade to the 597. GPS is a great feature, IF I wanted to spoil myself, but I'd rather use the money else where. I too HAVE the money, just prefer to use it on something else. I would even recommend the Humminbird 565. It's not color but that is one amazing piece of equipment. Honestly I would go with Humminbird 565, 141, but if you want go with the 480

Heck if all you want is the speed without GPS and Color the 565 gives you your speed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I just got back fom Cabellas and bought the 597ci

PLAY TIME !!!

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the new unit Jeremy.

5. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    Congrats! Post a review about it if you remember to. I really like it.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    shoulda got me one also lol

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    How do you like it? I just came BassPro, I got the 587ci. I almost got the 597ci, but none the salesman could tell me the difference in the two. I saved the hundred and got a few new Drift master rod holders.:Money:

8. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i just got the same unit. good unit i think.

9. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Did either of y'all get Navionics to go with it?

10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i dident. i may in the future tho. see how she is gonna work out for me then go from there. really good unit i think. the pixels are amazing on it. and user friendly.

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    There is so much more to GPS than "not getting lost". I use it when drift fishing rivers (admittedly not for catfish), so i can mark locations and keep drifting over that exact same spot. A couple of spots i fish in the middle of the river dont have any good landmarks to get bearings off of, with the GPS its not a problem to find them again. Its also really nice when you find an obstruction you can mark it so you dont hit it later. I did that this year with something sticking out of the water, as you couldn't see it when the tide came in. It was really nice duck hunting this year with the fog.....you couldn't see 100ft in front of you, so its impossible to follow the shore in the dark......we went slow to keep from hitting anything/anybody, but didn't have any trouble getting the 7 miles in the dark and fog. The longer you have it, the more uses you will find for it.

12. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I didnt get the navionics yet, when ya do make sure it is in SD format NOT CF. CF is about $50 less in price but wont work in Hummingbird neither will the platnum series of navionics, so be careful when ya do buy

the only diffrence between the 597 and the587 is the pixel ammount. the 597 has twice the pixels as the 587
    for thoes that dont know what pixels are it is the ammount of "dots" in a certain area on the 587 there are 320 "dots" from top to bottom and 240 "dots" left to right

on the 597 there are 640 top to bottom and 480 left to right

as far as price goes the price of the 597 at Bass Pro is $569, Cabellas is $519. I took the Cabellas add printed from the computer and BPS said that they DO honer Cabellas prices to match. so the diffrence is only $50 for twice the ammount of resalution, plus if you sigh up for BPS credit you get 10% off of that price, then go to the check out register and PAY FOR IT ALL IN FULL!!! and cut the card up ASAP.

that will get ya a 597 for $457

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  13. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Would a SD card for a camera save your settings, waypoints, markers and stuff?? Or is the SD slot only for Navionics?