What fish has the biggest fight?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Raypo, May 17, 2006.

1. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was just wiondering what everyone thinks about what fish fights the hardest... striper.... sandys..... reds.....anymore???

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's a tough one, for Freshwater, I'd say Cats, Stripers, and Carp. For Saltwater, Amberjack!

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Id definately say stripes ...they do get feirce lol

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would have to say, as for fresh water the Flathead hands down.
    As for salt water I would have to say, The Bonefish by a stretch.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    pound for pound im saying hybrid "wipers", and a close second would be hybrid bluegills/sunfish.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pound for pound, the bluegill or the shellcracker.
    They fight from the time they get hooked until you cut their head off in prepraration for a hot oil bath.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I have never genuinely saltwater fished so i have no input there.

For freshwater, i think i would go with hybrids( wipers or cherokee), They always fight very hard. Bluegill certainly are up there, havin never caught one over a pound, it's really hard to judge.

cyas
    rc

8. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    i would have to say hybrids/wpers and small mouth pound for pound the 3# smallie i cought fought like a beast

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bowfin for freshwater and Cobia for saltwater.Well now,you have one in the boat.Get ready.The fight is a long way from over.Practice catch and release with these fish and then come back here and post.It is not uncommon for Cobia fishermen to carry SS 44 mags to use on Cobia before boating.Fact is,it is very common.Bowfin are usualy clubed but shooting is not uncommon.The fish I could not slow down on 80 pound tackle might be up there,but I never found out what they were.peewee-williams

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Pound for pound, I would have to agree. A 20 pound perch would pull you out of the boat and eat you! Lmao! That aside, I was fishing with my dad about 10 years ago on the bank! We seen this guy in a 15 foot boat getting towed by a sturgeon. This was about 8 am, about 9:30 am he came back the other way, fish still on! His wife came looking for him around noon! There is no freshwater fish that comes close to a sturgeon that can reach several hundred pounds and more. It's kinda like snagging a freight train! For saltwater, Id say Shark,s will make you find out what you and your gear are made of!

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Pound for pound, White perch are super strong and are related to the striped bass. I once caught a stingray with a 6 foot span! Those suckers will tow your boat!

12. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree a Bowfin will fight like Rip.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Pound for pound, redear. If they got up around 50 pounds you would have to get peewee to bring his 44 mag.
    :waaaht:

ST

14. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    pound for pound i'd say redear.

15. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well ive never done any salt water fishing so i would have to say a 15lb to 20lb bluegill might do some seriouse damage to your muscles if it were a pound for pound survey.... Since its not i would have to say probobly a wiper.......

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The reason they gave for using the 44 mag.was to shoot right beside it and stun it,so it would not thrash around and tear up everything.They didn;t want to put a hole in the fish.The 44 mag had the shock value that they needed to stun the larger fish of all types.I have never tried it,but I have seen and heard it at a distance.They are probably using a 454 by now.As for the Bowfin,drunks in the river shoot anything with everything.peewee-williams

17. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I agree, when you go pound for pound. Now a good crappie on light tackle is fun too.

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Amberjack or cobia in my book as both are brutes and a amberjack hits like a wide open train and don't plain on stopping for nothing and a cobia ia a torpido with fins. both fish if they want to go they are going.

19. Mr. Whiskers

Mr. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have to agree with some othere people on the board and side with Hybrid stripers, with Steelhead and King Salmon tied for second. Whipers are nasty fish. It's like a 20 lb white bass. They hit like a ton of bricks and bulldog you around. While they don't have the acrobatics of smallies or even steelhead and salmon, they are wicked fighters.

The only freshwater fish that comes close are steelhead at the creek mouths in the fall. I love to watch 10 pound fish make lightening runs and launch a good 6-8 feet out of the water! Kings don't fight as good as Steelies, but when you hook into a 30 lbr, you certainly know they're there.

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would have to say bluegill/sunfish. for there size they are extremly powerful fighters. as for saltwater,i couldn't say,i have never been saltwater fishing:big_smile: