What fish finder is your boat equipped with?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by MSgtCatfish, Jun 17, 2008.

What type of fish finder is your boat equipped with?

1. Humminbird

2. Lowrance

3. Eagle

4. Garmin

5. Raymarine

6. Furuno

7. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just curious to see what everyone is using out there? I started out with a Humminbird many moons ago and since then I have been hooked on Lowrance. Had the X-15 and now the X-17c. Good models which work out for me pretty good. Been thinking about the new side imager from Humminbird bt haven't heard to much feedback on it.

So, let me know what you are using and any feedback on it you can give.

2. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have read a lot of reviews with people having problems with humming birds. I own a Lowrance x96. It is a very good fish finder for 100 dollers. I have read a lot of reviews on lowrances, and hear nothing but positives. read the reviews for some of the humming birds on basspro.com. I also know a guy with a humming bird, that has problems turning on and off, and doesnt read depths right. Personaly id stay with the lowrances. Quality might be good but I dont know how the dependability would be.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nothing fancy i have a hunningbird pirranah max 20. $99

i look for structure & channels with it. i dont watch fish much.

after running wide open on a lake i didnt know 100 yrds off the bank and stopping in 2 foot of water i got it for insurence more than anything. when i hit shallow water i can set it to beep when it hits certain depts.

4. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    i started out with hummingbirds super 30 and super 60 flashers and loved them. but when tom mann sold it the quality went down. and i switched to lowrance also american made. My boat is all lowrance and i havent had a problem with any of it. I use a lms-480 graph/gps on the console, and a lcf 1440 depth finder with surface temp gauge on the bow with trolling motor transducer , lvr 850 vhf radio and a lowrance muti gauge on the console that gives motor hours, charging amps, livewell temp and surface water temp. alarms for temps, and clock. I havent had a problem with any of it. dependable. if it does break they have a quick turn around on repairs. and believe me if its rough water it takes the pounding and keeps going. I also use my boat in fresh and saltwater and i have had no corrosion problems. You cant beat Lowrance in my opinion.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use the Lowrance 527C w/ GPS...I have only had it out on the river about 5 times, but i have not been skunked since i hooked it up. I love it so far, it was about 650.00 bucks so its not one of the real top end models, but it works for me real well. It shows beautiful arches and will read depths and structure when im running 45 mph.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got a lot of faith in Lowrance/Eagle products. I have an lms 337cdf and recently added a Humminbird 797c2si for the side imaging. It lasted for 2 weeks, and went bad. I exchanged it for a new unit, but haven't tested it yet. I definitely like the standard down sonar on the Lowrance better than that of the HB. but the side imaging is a neat little toy to play with. :cool2:

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Lowrance's 2D is the best, but Humminbird's side imaging is an advantage-If you learn how to use it.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Eagle 320. Fits the budget and ya don't have to be an "MIT" grad to work it. LOL!

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have 24 pontoon have a Hummingbird 383c for high speed, a 997 for fishfinding and a lowrance 68c on my trolling motor to find bait.

10. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I have 2 Humminbirds, a 161c with gps and a 565 with trolling motor transducer. They are both new this spring, so I have not used them much. I was initially having problems with the 161c shutting off, then it mysteriously went away, haven't had any more problems after that. Hopefully it will not rear its ugly head again, especially after the warranty runs out.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have the Eagle Fishmark 320 also. $150. VERY happy with this inexpensive unit. It finds fish and IDs structure very well. I usually catch fish where it says they are.
    BB in SC

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a cheap hummingbird-cost round 100 bucks and it works allrigh fer bein on a jon boat

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I run a lowrance LCX 111c HD but will be adding hummingbird side imaging by the end of the season

14. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I have a Humminbird 981c si that I absolutley love! Bought it new off ebay for about 800, when I tried to hook up the GPS accessory it would't reckonize it so I called Humminbird and they told me to send it in so they could look at it. I had owned it for just over a year, and had no warranty whatsoever on it, one week later they sent me a BRAND NEW one, no questions asked. Said I had water damaged the old one. Anyways already got 92 hrs (in 2 months) on the 'new' one and I'm loving it. But I must say brads lowrance 111c was quite impressive too...

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Lowrance 520-c in the back & eagle 480 in the front on the trolling motor.:smile2:

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Humminbird 797c2si. I love the side-imaging.

Soon, I will be upgrading to the massive, awesome 1197c.:big_smile:

You can really get the BIG picture of how structure is laid out with the side imaging. I would say it has helped my fishing greatly.

17. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I recently switched to the 1197 and the side imaging shows you what the bottom really looks like, the side imaging alone would not be any good but having it and the sonar together is the ideal mix. you find cover that you can not see otherwise.

18. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    when I started this poll I figured I would see a dead heat between Lowrance and Humminbird. Humminbird has a lot more votes however, Eagle is the cheaper version of Lowrance so when you add those 2 together = Humminbird=44 and Lowrance/Eagle=42, that's about right as far as my thinking was prior to the numbers coming in.

Interesting.

Thanks for all those participating in the poll and providing feedback on what and why you have your particular unit.

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have the Humminbird 917c with the quadrabeam transducer. I bought it new this year, I had an Eagle 320 before but it didn't work so well on the Mississippi river for some reason.

It took me a little bit to figure out what I was seeing on the screen at first, but now I have a pretty good idea. I really like the quadrabeam transducer as well.

If money wasn't an object, I think I would go with the best Lowrance unit I could find. I like the picture on the high dollar Lowrance screen!

20. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    it's like Chevy vs Ford... everyone knows Chevy is tops but you still have people that buy Fords.:big_smile:

I wish there was a way to compare the cheaper units to the high dollar units and see if one is better or just has more gadgets. I like my sidefinder but for sonar when all 3 units are on in my boat, if one sees a fish so does the other 2. other than the color on the sidefinder they all do ok.