What features do I want in waders for winter fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by Douglas Foster, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm not going to retire the rods this winter, I'm going to fish as much as I can. One of the places I fish I can wade out fifty feet until the water is crotch high and really add to my throwing distance. In the summer I just wade out in my shorts, but for the winter I want a pair of waders. I've never had waders before and when I look on the web/net I find a mind numbing assortment of styles, options, and prices. All I know is I want something dry and warm. What else do I need to know? What do you wear/use? Thanks, Doug

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

First let me say Welcome to the BOC.

As fro waders I have no idea, they don't make them my size, lol. Good luck I am sure someone who know's about them will help you out shortly

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, lots of options but ultimately youll get what you pay for so stay away from the wally world types. Best if you can afford the "breathable" models for total comfort, buy 1 size too big for extra socks in the winter, if your dealing with snow, then stay away from anything that has felt bottoms, If I were you, Id look at the Bootfoot models where the boot is already atached to the waders for easier on/off in the winter when your fingers are numb. Up north our winter waders are neoprene for the warmth they offer since we wade in 30 degree water for Ohio river Hybrids, skipjacks and Lake Erie steelhead.

I personally wade in a pair of the Simms G3 guide waders and the Simms Freestone boot with felt and carbide tips, but that is for everything else besides winter, in Winter, I use a pair of Hodgeman Bootfoot neoprene in a 4 mm thickness, each milimeter of thickness adds warmth but cost you in mobility. I like the 4 MM models. 3 is too thin, and the 5 are too cumbersome.

Let me know how much your willing to spend and Ill certainly pick out some good models for you
    Send me a PM
    Salmonid

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's because we displace too much water...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    He who laughs last -- missed the punch line.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You will definitely want neoprene!Thickness is a choice of warmth verses mobility.Thicker is warmer.Cabelas has a great assortment of different types.The SIMMs are certainly good as are others.Bootfoot or wading shoe is also a choice.I would favor bootfoot for your application.Good wading sokc are a must also.Let me tell you up front good neo waders are not cheap.You will also want some sort of belt for security in case you fall in ;let me amend that to "When you fall in":crazy: :embarassed: Just like every boat is 2 feet to short,most bodies of water are just slightly deeper than our waders.Get good fleece items to wear inside the waders.Good Luck,a patch kit is also a good idea.:smile2: :eek:oooh: :lol:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To wade in the winter time you must first fail three out of three psychiatriac appointments.... or however its spelled. LOL

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    He said it best I cant help him stress the fact that you might want to buy them a little big.I fish in some nasty areas in some nasty weather. So I always try to keep on something underneath. Also a question of my own: I have 4 pairs of waders with holes and rips in them can someone tell me a reliable way to repair them if there is one

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have two pairs of neoprene waders, 1 waist high & the other chest high. They are made by Hodgeman.

You can get them from www.sportsmanguide.com

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have the same ones too and they are decent waders. I was looking at those Simms wader for this spring/summer seasons.
    I bought a pair of hip waders for the "shallows" by my house but the only diisadvantage is that they do not have the felt soles.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Terry it isnt any problem at all to repair waders with a hole in them.This was taught to me by a wise old indian guide in Montana.As soon a you find the leak, and you can do this by filling the waders with water or simply putting them on naked and wading in.Sorry ladies if that image is to graphic.Mark the hole with a felt tip pen.That is where the water is coming in.Directly across from that location punch another hole in the waders,this will let the water out.That way you will never have cold water in the waders.:big_smile: :lol: :tounge_out:It is very important to always have an equal number of holes for this system to work!!!:wink: The old indian didn't get any older either!!!!!! Prior to neoprene we simply found the hole and put a glob of silicon glue on it.My dearly departed wife used to break into hysterical laughter when there was more silicon visible than the actual waders.She actualy bought me a new pair for Xmas one year because she figured out it was cheaper to buy new waders than more tubes of silicon.Neoprene waders usaully come with a patch kit that works well if the directions are followed.The dry underwater type of silicon used for boat fittings works well on the canvas or rubber waders.:big_smile:

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats too funny! Thank you, I'm gonna pass this along at the lodge!

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    We used to use a tire patch. Ya just put it on like you was fixing a tire, problem fixed go fishing. Later Andy