What exactly is a guage?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 20, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I know a .338, for example, is the diameter of the cartridges neck. So when dealing with a shotgun, what does the guage in 12 gauge mean? never really thought about it:confused2:
    and the .410 guage shotgun?? i though that was diameter too, but where does the gauge part come in?

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Gauge is the number of identical solid spheres that can be made from the diameter of the bore with a pound of lead. So the bigger the bore the less number of spheres from the same amount of lead. The .410 would actually be a 67.5 gauge. Years ago they also called them 36 gauge. Somewhere along the way they changed to calling it by the bore diameter the way they do with rifles and pistols.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The .410 is actually a caliber measuring .410 of a inch.I have read of several explanations.I don;t know which is right.It still uses 2 1/2 inch shells.It is the odd ball of shotguns!All of the measurements are "Bore".No choke.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I thought a .410 was a 28 Gauge?
    Smitty

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    No sir! 10,12,16,20,28 and .410 are the gauges being offered in the on line websites.16 & 28 about died out but are coming back.The "Sweet 16" was fairly popular until the 60's.The price of 16 and .410 shells being so much more than 12 & 20 gauge hurts even today.I don;t know where you would get the 28 gauge shells.I think 28 gauge is mostly coming back to be shot in competition.I was going to buy a 12 gauge double in 3" magnum in spain in the early 60's.In Charleston,SC. and Savannah,Ga.,I would have had to order them by the case and only in 2's & 4's Goose loads,as they were the only ones available.Dido that.I wanted Buckshot.Availability of shells has been a big problem with some gauges and calibers from 1953 to present in my shooting lifespan.What people shoot the most is cheapest.Bottom line with it all.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think the 410 started life as a rifle way back in the day.

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks PeeWee. I always was told they were the same growing-up.

Smitty