The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Quick question. I have an older 7’ Medium action Big Water that I like very well. I was looking to buy another one of the newer style to keep it company but on Shakespeares website they describe the 7 foot medium as a boat rod... I do not own a boat lol. I am wondering if there is actually a real difference in a “boat” rod vs a ~regular spinning rod? Could someone fill me in. Thanks.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
834 Posts
Logan,
This is opinion and may not even be close to the truth. I like a bank rod to have a moderate action as opposed to fast action. A fast action rod has a soft tip that takes a lot of the distance out of the cast. On a boat you can anchor close to where you want to fish and put the rod in the holder, the tip will let you know when the bait gets some interest.
On the bank, I may want to cast a good distance but I can watch my line or hold the rod and I will know immediatly when something is going on, but the tip won't neccessarily give it away.
Hope that is helpful and other, more experienced anglers chime in.:smile1:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey everyone. Quick question. I have an older 7’ Medium action Big Water that I like very well. I was looking to buy another one of the newer style to keep it company but on Shakespeares website they describe the 7 foot medium as a boat rod... I do not own a boat lol. I am wondering if there is actually a real difference in a “boat” rod vs a ~regular spinning rod? Could someone fill me in. Thanks.
A boat rod is typically used offshore where instead of casting, you just drop your bait straight down to the bottom. They won't cast very far if you tried to use them for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Logan,
This is opinion and may not even be close to the truth. I like a bank rod to have a moderate action as opposed to fast action. A fast action rod has a soft tip that takes a lot of the distance out of the cast. On a boat you can anchor close to where you want to fish and put the rod in the holder, the tip will let you know when the bait gets some interest.
On the bank, I may want to cast a good distance but I can watch my line or hold the rod and I will know immediatly when something is going on, but the tip won't neccessarily give it away.
Hope that is helpful and other, more experienced anglers chime in.:smile1:
Shakespeare Big water is their saltwater rods. There are 3 types of saltwater rods typically. Inshore, boat and surf.
Inshore rods are like your typical freshwater rods except they have saltwater resistant hardware.
Surf rods are as the name suggests, for fishing in the surf.
Boat rods are for fishing offshore, where you just drop your bait straight down to the bottom.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Let me create and also add to the confusion.:biggrin1:

Boat rod: Normally but not always a one piece shorter rod with a medium length or "stand up" handle, medium heavy or greater (depending on the fish that is being targeted and the depths and bait/sinker weights being fished), with heavy duty standard, or roller guides. It is possible to cast with these rods but they are really designed to be droppers...not casters. Made from heavy duty blanks with reel seats to accommodate larger reel feet.

Surf or casting rods: Longer rod with long handle, thin or insert type guides to reduce friction, with up to heavy ratings. Made to cast long from beach or open bank. These rods are normally "whippy" which aids in casting distance. Usually (but not always) made with composite or graphite blanks.

Can you fish from the bank with a boat rod...sure! Can you fish from a boat with a surf or casting rod...sure. Each type of rod is designed to perform different tasks but each type of rod can be used to fish just about anywhere.

I have MH to XXH boat rods that I use to fish from the bank, and I also have a couple of Big Water surf rods that I use from the bank as well when I need extra casting distance. Each type of rod does what it is supposed to do (catch fish), but each type of rod has its pro's and con's for bank fishing. My go to rods for general still water fishing are 8 ft MH.........My H and XH 7.5 ft rods are used on the big rivers (Missouri and Mississippi)....all of these I would consider "boat rods".

If I had a boat (which I do not) I could probably confuse you even more. I would say that if you are using a 7' Big Water and are happy with the performance for your type of fishing then that would be your rod of choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. This rod (mine) is a 2 piece medium. Line rating of 10-25 lbs which is slightly less than the catfish model. The action of this rod is very similar to the catfish with a SLIGHTLY softer tip, no where near being a broomstick. The handles are identical (pre gimbal). As far as I can tell it’s really close to the white catfish rod but the fit and finish are a couple notches higher. The only glaring difference is the first guide is huge.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,808 Posts
I got a different theory....a boat rod is whatever rods I can find to load up and head out with:love::love::love: long as I'm in the water with a rod and reel I stand a chance:cool1:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Interesting. This rod (mine) is a 2 piece medium. Line rating of 10-25 lbs which is slightly less than the catfish model. The action of this rod is very similar to the catfish with a SLIGHTLY softer tip, no where near being a broomstick. The handles are identical (pre gimbal). As far as I can tell it’s really close to the white catfish rod but the fit and finish are a couple notches higher. The only glaring difference is the first guide is huge.
You wont believe this...my neighbor was over yesterday and I was working on some tackle for him and lo and behold he tells me he has a Big Water 7', two piece, medium "spinning" rod! I asked to see it. That is a nice rod. Would be perfect for still water or slow flow streams. I have a couple of Ugly Catfish rods, casting, med heavy, 8 ft...they are just a bit more stout than the 7' Big Water. As far as either, both would be suited for bank or boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts