What electronics

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Moallen, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi again ,
    What electronics is everyone using .GPS/Soundrs? How does the muddy water in the MO river affect the sounders?
    Allen

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I use a Lowrance LCX-25C and it's worth every penny. I started out with an Eagle FishElite 480 (monochrome) but it just didn't cut the mustard. The Lowrance has 4000 watts where the Eagle had about 1500. More power is a good thing.

The Muddy MO really makes it difficult to use a sonar unit effectively -- between the mud, suspended debris and relatively shallow water, I seldom mark fish on the unit except in extremely deep holes (scour holes behind cut wing dykes primarily) and instead use the sonar to get an idea of depth and bottom topography. The never ending mountain of debris rolling along in the river makes it difficult to distinguish fish from leaves from dead bodies... On the river, I typically have to run the sensitivity down to the 65% range, whereas it's closer to 85% on Truman Lake and other "clear" water.

3. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    HI,
    I also have a lowrance and a garmin, and furuno. I have one of those fishing buddy also that you hang on the side of the boat. I guess I will just try them all out and see what happens. The lowrance is cool because of the large screen size.
    Thanks
    Allen