What does your "Winter" Catfishing consist of?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 18, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I laugh, well okay cray ( :crying: ) when people ask use midwesterns why we say we ahve Catfish "seasons" and cant or dont fish all year long. Well let me tell you the story of my day!

A big flyfiherman and friend of mine wanted to go cattin today, basically to check out a new spot. I got upm it was 15 degrees or so. I went out around 7:30AM started up the Jeep to get it warm, (of corse I did this in shorts & socks thinking it coldnt be THAT bad for a few seconds) well after about 30 seconds of begin outside, my feet were purple and I was frigid, came back in, got more clothes on then went to the shed to dig out my insulated waders, doug around the house for my insulated warm socks, put on a shirt, a jacket, and then a heavier jacket, a paid of insulated thermals, then a pair of jeans, found a tobogan, gloves and most importanly my digital camera & fishing tackle. Met my friend on the river. Walked 1/2 mile in (yes more) Snow & Ice, got to the river, we then walked through scrub brush then mud, then a creek, but we finally made it to the river. I then started wadding to the spot, yes wading in (VERY) cold water!

The Result: NO CATS, but it was a very good day, as I found some surprises! ;) I'm trying to call Flathunter now to tell him about it!

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............and NO fish what a bummer. Sometimes it just about gettin' out there and tryin'. hope ya do better next time!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brayn nice looking rod holders you got there man :D

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I commend you just for trying, it's like brad said sometimes it's just about getting out there and giving it a try. I'm going this week, but it's not nearly as cold as it is there.

Here's a pic from last year my dad got two nice fish, a blue cat, and a real nice 7 lb walleye, the little girl in the picture is my sister....A Katmaster Jr. in training....LOL.... :eek:

Attached Files:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I fish Baldwin Lake in Illinois, which is a cooling lake for the local power plant. Last week I caught 8 blues ranging from 2-8#. This morning I got skunked :(.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man that looks cold as hell! i really dont fish much at all in the winter but i will try for channels maybe a couple times. has to be above 35 degrees though for me. hey mellon...at some point this week i'll have my boat fixed and if its not too cold you wanna hook up and catch some channels this weekend? i cant get anyone out this time of year to fish, thats probably why i dont go that much. those damn saugeyes this week have got my blood movin again lol.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do most of my winter fishing at the hot water outlet of the nuclear plant although I am mostly fishing for skips we have caught some nice cats there also.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Just went out last week here. It was almost 50 degrees that day but the wind made it feel much colder. Ended up with five altogether with a 16 pd blue to top the day.

I use muck boots to keep my feet warm. Theres not a boot out there that does the job like muck does. If my feet ever gets cold i'm done. Other than that my hunting clothes usually takes care of everything else. Something i found out the other day after going for a soccer ball on the rip rap. I'm no where near as agile with all those clothes on and YUP those rocks left a mark . That soccer ball sho nuff come home after i parted with some skin. :glare:

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    must have been some good looking soccer ball :p

10. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Took the words right out of my mouth...

BRRRRRRRRRR............

Won't see me doing this...I had 7 degrees this morning.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Went out Sat. to look at a few ramps to see how the Mississippi was doing with an eye to fishing later this week. A lot of sheet ice already. The ice flows were making a lot of noise beating up the nav bouys. :sad: Saw at Foley that one guy had gone out, he had to bust ice for a long way before he got to clear water. Water temp. 33°.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i just use the same things as summer fishing with the exception of a heavy coat sweatshirt gloves and lots of hot chocolate now if i could figure a way to get some heat on the boat :p this year wont matter to much i wont be doing any fishing till end of jan or early feb.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dang Mutt, how can you wait that long to fish?..... :eek:LOL I start having withdraw's if I go that long without fishing.... :eek: ....LOL :eek: :D

14. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    gotta let my foot heal up toasted it pretty good. but thats ok gives me a chance to clean my reels and poles and reorganize my tackle boxes. (hope i didnt say something there that would get me in trouble :p ) and a chance to get some plane building done in the meantime too lol.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    :glare: .....LOL.....Oh....likely story....LOL too cold for ya!....Just funnin ya! :p

16. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehehehe hey as long as ya teasing me i am a happy dog :rolleyes:

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL...... :p :D

18. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    In the winter i don't go until its at least in the 40's. Bloody and dead baits
    work better for me in the winter over any live bait. And i always fish the
    warmest part of the day to the early night(only during the winter).

19. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I don't see how you guys do it. It was 4 degrees here in Indy this morning! That's way to cold to try to man. Although I heard it was supposed to warm up to the low 40's this weekend and I might do some fishin. You never know. :cool:

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Maybe it was that cold in INDY because the Colts lost and Hell froze over?Sorry Ryan couldn't resist.Although now that I have read your post I see what is the matter with the Colts. All you guys up there evidently can't function when its cold!!!!!! :crying: If you can't fish how are they expected to play football? :p If they looked up in the stands and all their fans were dressed to go ice fishing maybe they would be inspired.Next thing you know all fishing in Indiana will be done inside domes. :D