What does your real name mean?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by khensu0213, Sep 13, 2006.

1. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thought this was interesting...

A buddy of mine looked up the meaning of his name (it's an Irish name).

His full name literally means 'Lord of the elves of the old wood'.

Of course now all of us friends and co-workers are calling him Legolis (from Lord of the Rings), or keep running up to him saying stuff like, 'News from the east...the dwarves are attacking Rivendale...we need you to rally the elf troops...'.

So, I looked up my name and found it is a combination of German, Scottish, and Greek names, that literally translates to: Peaceful Scotsman who loves horses. Kind of different.

Just wondered if any of you have ever looked up the meanings of your names and found any interesting translations.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats interesting Jeff, where would i get that information??

3. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Duzan is prehistoric french and is pronounce Dooozahn....

It means Sexual Tyrannosaurus!!!!!!

:cool2: :lol:

MAJ D

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My last name means arrow maker. I don't build arrows, though.

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    A sexual dinosaur...:lol: Thats wrong on so many levels :lol:

I havent a clue what my name translate too, but would love to know.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey Jerry, you sure your last name isnt Garcia???? LOL...JUst kidding, But you do look alot like the Gratefull Deads Jerry Garcia...Im sure you have heard that before though..LOL

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i wish i could figure out what my last name means i searched on google but found nothing. hmmm.

8. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure what my name really means, but I know that on "Mad About You" they named their baby - Mabel - Mothers Always Bring Extra Love. Being a mother of two and a step-mom of one, I'll take it. :lol:

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    From what i can gather my last name McKinney means.."I am Ready"

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats pretty interesting. what a name! Marcus just means "Mighty Warrior" ... of catfishing

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Joel is Hebrew, meaning "Jehovah is Elohim," or as we would say, "The Lord, He is God".

As for Cress, well that's a bunch of green stuff that we turned our noses up at when we were kids. :eek:oooh:

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Mine means "Gods peace" Boy, My parents really screwed that one up!

13. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I just did a search for name meanings and this is what I found for my name which is Kevin.

Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhin, derived from the older Irish Coemgein, composed of the Old Irish elements coem meaning "Kind, Gentle, and Handsome" and gein meaning "Birth". This is very interesting because I have no irish blood running through my veins just norwegien, polish, and german.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I learned the meaning of my first and middle names long ago, but I found the additional information interesting upon researching them. Tanya is actually a Russian (slavic) name meaning "fairy queen" or in Greek, "sun". It is a Russian nickname for Tatiana. Renee, my middle name, means "reborn" from the Latin/French. I REALLY cracked up when I read this......"People say the name Tanya reminds them of a country girl (that part's okay :smile2:). They also associate the name Tanya with a pretty, blonde girl who is sexy, boisterous, and wild. Renee is described as a smart, trendy sophisticate who is ambitious, independent, and strong. Man, what a combination! :lol:

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    my name is greek and means "bearer of christ" my last name means " sun in his eyes"... go figure

16. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We just googled 'meaning of [insert your name]'

17. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LMAO...that's funny

18. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What's really cool about your name? My wife's name is Tanya. And my sisters name is Renee. Just based on that, you must be pretty cool to share names with two of the most important women in my life!:big_smile:

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    couldnt find meaning of my surname (burney). i do know that im scotch irish though. 1/2 o me likes to drink, other 1/2 doesnt wanna pay for it.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Caywood means Jackdaw near the woods

A Jackdaw is a small raven

Benjamin means "to the right" Usually taken to mean on the right hand of God, in the favored position.