WHAT DOES TURTLE TASTE LIKE

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by catoon, Oct 2, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have never tasted turtle

2. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Well, I'm not going to say it tastes like chicken... There is white meat in the neck of the turtle but I don't think it tastes like chicken. I would say it's similar to beef but
    it still tends to have a taste of it's own.
    I'ts not really a gamey tasting meat either.
    It's a tough meat but if properly cooked it's
    not a problem. If you're a big meat fan you can take my word that turtle meat is very good.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I wanna try some. I have eaten things people won't eat. Like a big ol' gar. Yummy.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've eaten turtle once,I cant say what it tastes like,I guess it tastes like turtle:wink:

5. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    My buddies grandmaw showed me how to clean um, **Ole coonass woman too** she said boy thems 7 different types of meat dat turddle... We made a Sauce Pecante' out of it and ewwwwww weeee man! MMMM MMMM MMMM!!!!!

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Turtle soup, emmm Yummm!

Lots of work though to get it out of their. Best not be too squeamish.

Been years since I've cleaned one, but tis good stuff for sure.

7. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    If cleaned and cooked properly, it is delicious.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Its great , most wont mess with it cause they dont wanna clean it , i use a drimmle with a mini diamond bit it makes quick work of cleaning it . I have bbq'd it made soup used it in gravy and simply fried it , iam a meat eater and love it there are different meats in one turtle and pending how you make it makes the taste .

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    maybe one day ill get to try some

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I remember eating it fried when I was a kid. Seemed like I remember it tasting good.

Took a Snapper to a buddies this year to clean out for a few days in his big tank per his suggestion. When I showed for the cleaning lesson he had two more in there.

What a freakin' GROSS experience cleaning the dang things and I am usually not too squeamish about that stuff. It wasn't a butcher job neither cause he knows what he is doing, been doing it for probably Forty years.

Needless to say when I left he had the meat from all three turtles left to eat at his place.:eek:oooh:

Next time I come across a snapper or any other turtle I am letting 'em LIVE!

Catch and Release ALL TURTLES! CPR! CPR!:smile2::wink:

11. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    One of my buddies has eaten 'em for years, he always told me it tasted a little like Bald Eagle...I had some of his , I think it's a bit more like Spotted Owl....:wink:

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have never eaten poop but if I did I would think it tasted like turtle.

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    hhhhhmmmmmm i wonder if thats good or not

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Now ,John. I didn't say it was bad,just not like anything you can compare it too. I liked it myself. As for the cleaning,it stinks,My wife said if I ever did another one in HER kitchen ,I'd be living alone.:smile2:

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My dog eats poop, so I would imagine she'd like turtle too then, must be good stuff.

16. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've eaten turtle several times when I was younger. I'll never forget the head still biting or the claws still moving an hour after the head was cut off. I ate it fried, and it was good, never had anything like it though. Kinda tasted like a mix of fried chicken and fried fish but with a beef texture.