What does it mean to "Reel Down" to catch a fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was reading a post and they were talking about having to reel down to catch a fish. What are they talking about?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The rod does the work. You lever the fish up with the rod, and then reel as quickly as possible as you lower the rod to repeat another hoist. By reeling while going down, this keeps constant tension on the line.

Bill in SC

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i dont know the reference but in most cases they are referring to using circle hooks and reeling down on the fish instead of setting the hook.
    Circle hooks just need steady pressure to set the hook. Alot of people "reel down" several turns before removing the rod from the rod holder when using circles.
    PM me if you need more details and I will give you my mobile #.
    Lindsay

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    What bigbird says. I do it when using circles.

5. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    OK, Thanks. I understand now. I had never heard the term before. There is a lot of things you Midwest, and East boys talk about that I am not familar with. I have always tied on a sinker, come up about 18 inches and tie my hook on and tight line. I am trying some of the other rigs I read about here. I have been catching a few on trot lines, but not having a lot of luck with the RR.

I sure appreciate all the information and willingness to share,
    Jim