What does it mean the fish are "running"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stonemaster, Apr 30, 2006.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I was told the other day that the bass were running. I have heard that said about many fish and I don't know what it means. Can someone please tell me? Thanks.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    When people say that fish are 'running,' what they mean is that the fish are moving around looking for food. It means that they are biting and you can catch a good number of them given the right baits.

:0a26:

3. kill3r843

kill3r843 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea thats the easyest way to put it well noly way lol

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    around here it means the fish are making the annual pre-spawn or spawn run up the rivers. at this time they are feeding heavily and is the best time of the year to catch numbers .

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Recently it means that the flatheads have heard DH is comin' fishin' and have run and hid:confused2:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm with Cattoo on what it means. I have never heard it used for anything but a fish species moving upriver to spawn, eating everything in sight on the way. I have lived in various parts of the country, and depending on where you live, it could mean different species. Most of the time, it has been used in the White Bass meaning. Some southern states call these fish, Sand Bass or Sandies.

7. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Thanks everybody. Well the bass of all types are running in the creeks that empty into the Ky. river. Many times it's a fish every cast! The largemouths are just legal size or under and the whites are about 6 inches. I am catching them on lead headed jigs with a white grub, or a imatation crawdad and on my flyrod and a popper. Lots of fun but where are the cats?

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darrell, I have been catching large numbers of cats by fishing structure. Any stump, log or logs that are along the bank and submerged in more than a foot of water have been producing well for me. I've been using fresh cut shad and fishing just upstream of the structure and letting the fish come to my bait. With shad or any fresh cut bait you should be able to do the same. I will anchor about 20 yards upstream from the structure and put a line on each side of it and one along the bank by it. The cats are sometimes so shallow that on the hookset they will surface or make wake. Good luck. Vern