what does anise extract do?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CatswithBats, Nov 13, 2006.

1. CatswithBats

CatswithBats New Member

State:
    Cali
    It seems popular on here but a total random ingrediant. Wondering wats so magic about it. Thanxs

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If I had to guess I would say it's the scent that attracts the fish. Something about it calls the fish in and helps get them to bite. Why does liver work? It just does.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It is greasy and a similar chemical makeup to fish oil. Thought is it fools the fish into thinking it's fish oil.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    all i know is that it works

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Anise extract, along with vanilla extract, strawberry flavoring, and others are attractants sometimes used in either dough type baits or on things like liver and shrimp to enhance them. Anise has a long history as a flavoring for lures, especially soft plastics. Here's a description of Anise Extract:

Anise Extract
    A flavoring produced from dissolving the oil of anise seeds into alcohol. The extract has a sweet licorice taste and is used as a flavoring for cooking. Extracts may be labeled as pure, natural, imitation or artificial. Pure and natural extracts are governed by laws in many countries that require compliance with procedures that take the extract ingredients directly from the named flavor, such as extracting oils directly from the vanilla bean to make pure or natural vanilla extract. Artificial or imitation extracts are flavors that do not necessarily use any ingredients directly from a source named for the extract but instead used combinations of ingredients to arrive at a flavor representative of the named food extract, such as imitation lemon extract.

6. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    What Jerry says.

It smells like licorice. We soak our hotdogs in it most of the time, when we are using hotdogs for bait. Good for channels and blues.

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    If you use true anise oil, the scent lasts longer, and it takes less than extract.

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Its true always better with the true oils rather than the immatations. In fishing and cooking!

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    [​IMG] What does it do?....Well it make me vomit. Blech!

[​IMG]