What do you use for gar fishing

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catfish1516, May 8, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

Reidsville ,North Carolina
    For gar, do you fish bait under a bobber, or on the bottom, I fish in a river so it is very hard to bottomfish and not get snagged on something.
  2. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

wales england
    Hi mate am new to this site but I used to live in Melbourne Austrailia and found that fishing a quill float with about 4 to 6 ft of leader line underneath with a frozen prawn on a shank hook always got them for me Unsure if it works over there but I did very well Nick

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

Hannibal, MO
    You can catch them on top and bottom. I have had fun using the dead minnows on a slow day with no extra weight and below a light float for casting weight. Allow the gar to run 15 to 20 yards with the bait, then set the hook when it stops to swallow. Ironically, I have caught a lot of gar (by accident) while fishing pieces of shad on the bottom with a "Circle Hook". The circle hook would rotate and the point would catch them in the throat area where there is no bone. Just let them run a bit then set the hook. I look forward to going for the alligator gar sometime. Hannibal Mike