What do you use for bait??

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Catfishboy1995, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What do you use for bait when you catch skipjack? I have got the on worm and on little crappie jigs every now and then...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I was told to use sabiki rigs. I've never used one but that is what I am going to try.

3. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    we use crappie jigs and sabiki rigs hear....ususly green or white jigs but sometimes we have to try different colors we also use crappie minnows also under a cork

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i use a store bought sabiki rig or one that i have engineered myself. you can take a few curly tails and space them out about 8 inches to a foot and catch then like that. dont underestimate the strength of a skipjack on a sabiki rig, if you get 2 or 3 hooked at a time, you can play hell getting them in on to light of a rig. Ken and Jon both said that they gave one heck of a fight with hooked like that, after they had a big day of catching them last spring.

side note about sabiki rigs, you need to check your local regs about how many hooks you can use at a time. in ohio its 3 and in KY its unlimited. so when i change banks i have to adjust my rigs.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    yea..here we have to foll9ow the regulation of the state we are licensed in...i live in iowa si i have to follow 2 hooks per line...even in nebraske even though there law is like 15 per line or something like that!!