What do you use for bait bags "mesh" for livers.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wabah58, Jun 4, 2009.

1. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I fish with chicken livers I usually wrap some string around them to keep them on the hook better. I was wanting to try using some type of "Liver bag" are as some call it "bait mesh" next time out. Anybody use them? Do you think panty hose would work?

[youtubevid]BNqwfvlHSgw[/youtubevid]

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the Boc mike, try using cheese cloth. u can by it by the roll and cut to size, use small rubber bands to shore it up.

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know this is a stupid question, but where do you get cheese cloth?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome ,Mike. If you buy FRESH livers and KEEP them COLD They will stay firmer,I dont use anything but I do use spinning gear when I fish with liver. I never have a problem slinging it off,I think most of you guys are trying to sling your bait to the middle of the lake. Try a short lob of around 20 -30 FT .:wink:

5. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lake I fish, I only fish about 20 feet off the bank. It's the river that you need toget it out there from the bank.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you can use those cheap round mesh luffa things you use to wash in the shower with body wash,you can get those anywhere.or you can just cure your liver and not have to worry about it.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You can go into any Wal-Mart that has a fabrics section and buy the mesh.It,s real soft,almost like pantyhose.It comes by the yard,take it home and cut it into squares.It,s cheap and comes in several different colors.$10 bucks worth will last you a very long time.If there,s not a Wal-Mart near you(like thats possible),you can go into any fabric store and get the same thing.:big_smile:

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you can get cheeze clothe at craft stores llike hobby lobby or micheals or whatever local equivalant. wife says you can get it at fabric stores.

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

I have to agree with 223reload, Try fresh, keep it cold and use a sharp knife to cut it. Works wonders.

John

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whatever those veils that woman wear on their wedding day work great. They have pretty big holes for fabric but can keep the livers in. You can buy it in most fabric stores or wal-mart fabric section. They may look at you weird when you come in and ask for some of that stuff woman wear on their wedding day, or at least they looked at me weird.

11. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't remember who it was, but I think someone on this forum
    mentioned the "poof balls" that a lot of people keep in there shower.
    They cost a couple of bucks and you cut them apart and it is amazing how much mesh is there.

12. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Whats wrong with just using spawn netting and magic thread like he is in the vid? Thats what I use and I got the thread+mesh material for like 3 or 4 bucks at a tackle shop.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nothing,sounds like a good idea if you already got the material handy!:big_smile:

14. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    i always used to use panty hose like you said and has worked pretty well but most of the time i just take the thin white muscle from the liver and wrap it around itself kinda a pain to wrap with though. they also make those treble hooks with the springs on em and i'd say that they've always worked the best.

15. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    If you know anyone that works in the food industry that require the employees to wear hair nets, ask them to grab ya a hand full.

16. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i just use elastic string wrap it around the liver a bunch of times and your good to go. you can get it at walmart for a buck a roll and its lasts a while.

17. Holyrazer

Holyrazer New Member

State:
    Central Il
    The best material I've found is pantyhose. I use the cheap knee-high ones that come in the tiny plastic egg at Wal-Mart. It costs $0.33 for a pair, and I can make about 6 bait bags from each one. That's 12 bags for $0.33! CHEAP! They are ultra effective at keeping the bait contained throughout casting and nibbles. If hooked properly they can cover the point for tricky fishing holes decreasing snag frequency. They also allow for good scent distribution in the water as it is just a fine mesh. I tear a peice of liver off the size of a fifty-cent peice, drop it in and pull it right to the bottom then tie a regular knot in. Tie another knot maybe a half inch up, pull the knots as tight as you can and cut between them. Repeat as needed. Works great for stink and cheese bait to, and you can get by with less bait, and hosiery used for those types aswell.

18. CatKong

CatKong New Member

State:
    Southeast, Pa
    i second the hair nets, sometimes they work to good and you have to cut the line off your hook. I know my local dollar store sells them.

19. Michael Allen Walker

Michael Allen Walker New Member

State:
    WV-Home KY-Army
    LOL well..... I know of one town about 10-20 mins away from me that DOESN'T have a Wal-Mart :eek1: Granted it a small town and kinda behind the times look to it (my fav kinda place, would love to live there!)

20. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Got me some of the mesh and thread from Cabelas a couple of years ago and it worked great.