What do you think?!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Powering America At Home

With the escalation in rhetoric from the radical Iranian president, threatening to destroy Israel and retaliate economically or militarily against any other infidel nation that attempts to de-rail Iran’s drive toward nuclear weaponry, the apparent worry for many Americas became, not annihilation but rather the resulting cost of gasoline. For the priority-challenged, this thought. Once radiated to a crisp, or otherwise deceased, the price of gas becomes a far lesser concern. But were an Iranian oil embargo to occur, aided by supply reductions from sympathetic OPEC brethren, causing our fuel prices to sky-rocket, even beyond last year’s post-hurricane levels, the financial impact on individual Americans, and the nation’s economy as a whole, could be devastating. Given this threat, we’re, at last, hearing meaningful calls to reduce our dependence on Mid-East oil, and even to cut back on our oil use entirely. The reality is that we must do both.

Last week, President Bush referred to our increasingly more urgent need to decrease our “addiction” to oil. Reducing oil dependence means expanding the use of existing energy sources, along with more aggressive research into renewable and alternative fuels. Regarding existing sources, it’s long-past time we deep-six the false fears and re-start new construction of nuclear power plants. Only 20-percent of current U.S. electrical power is nuclear-generated. Nuclear is clean, safe, cost-efficient, and best of all, it’s here and operational. All we need do is to make more use of it, and that we must. For vehicular use, research and implementation continues, with alternatives such as fuel cells and ethanol, the latter being alcohol, derived primarily from corn, blended with gasoline. In fact, Congressman Jack Kingston has already introduced bi-partisan-backed legislation that would provide incentives for the increased development and use of both ethanol and hybrid vehicles. And then, of course, there’s always solar and wind power, the love-off-spring of the post-70’s environmentalist fringe. Anti-combustion, anti-nuke, anti-anything that isn’t a sunflower seed. Tell you what, when large numbers of these “do as we say, not as we do” folks finally slap solar panels all over their homes, erect windmill farms in their own yards, and trade in their guzzlers for tiny cars a circus clown would envy, then, perhaps, the rest of us might actually begin taking them more seriously.

To decrease our dependence on oil from unstable nations, we have solutions, here at home and near-by. For starters, we need to begin the high-tech, environmentally-sensitive harvesting of the abundant crude held beneath a very small portion of Alaska’s very huge National Wildlife Refuge. Unbelievably, in late 2005, Congress buckled, yet again, to the caribou commandos, choosing the environmentalists self-centered agenda over the far greater well-being and security needs of the nation. We must halt this ecco foolishness and begin drilling in ANWR now! And to further America’s oil self-sufficiency, we must increase drilling sites well-off our Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts, applying the modern methods needed to keep tourist beaches pristine. Among our best, close-by, crude oil sources: Mexico, and especially the vast, now-more-feasible-to-process, sand oil deposits, abundant in Western Canada’s Alberta Province.

With about 5-percent of the world’s population, the U. S. uses over 25-percent of the world’s oil, importing over 50-percent of it. While half of our imports come from nations in this hemisphere, fully a third still comes from the Persian Gulf region. One of our prime energy goals, in the words of President Bush, is to “make our dependence on Middle-Eastern oil a thing of the past,” and to “break (that) addiction, through technology.” Incentives for private industry, cutting-edge research, and American innovation will produce the energy solutions we seek. We must cease energy policies driven by environmental zealots, or one day we may not be driving at all. The caribou will be fine. It’s time we stop catering to the obstructionists and start accelerating the nation-securing, nation-preserving mandate to power America here at home.

Found this and thinks it makes a lot of sence what about you?

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i am currently in the southern bay of campeche about 40 miles offshore of cuidad del carmen, mexico. i'm on a big jackup drilling rig in one of the richest oil and gas fields that has been found in the entire gulf. the amount and quality of the oil being produced down here is unreal. the mexican oil reserves are growing by the minute. most of it is being stockpiled. why aren't some of it going to the US?
    the natural gas that is being produced down here is not used for anything. they burn it all off. last night me and the driller counted 47 flares burning around us. man what a waste. it is sickning to see all of this waste. with the cost of natural gas getting higher and higher in the US every year, you would think that the mexican and american goverments could get together and utilize this horrible waste. but because of the beauricratic red tape this will probably never happen. what a waste, not to mention the pollution.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i think the same that its a big waste and it p's me off to have these utility companies touting that natural gas prices are going up due to blah blah blah what ever aholes its greed and nothing else and then this burn off crap how many thousands of upon thousands of homes could be heated with what they are wasteing?
    its uncalled for:mad:

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A fishing buddy of mine has a brother who works on one of those drilling rigs down in the gulf too. He claims they drill, hit oil, cap it off and go drill another one. Seems like they should be using it instead of just sitting on it. And yet they claim that the high price of gas is because of the higher cost of middle east crude oil. My feelings is "if a Ford is too high, buy a Chevy". In other words tell em to stick that middle east oil where the sun don't shine and use gulf or Alaskan oil. It makes just as good gasoline.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes we need to do something and do it fast! i jumped onto the fuel-cell bandwagon a few years back and bought a couple thousand in stock in the lead supplier/developer of the automotive end of things. at the time there was so much optimism about this technology and predictions were made about full-scale production of fuel-cell vehicles in less than 10 years. well, its been 7 years now and my stock has fallen to almost nothing and you never hear anything anymore about fuel-cells. why is that? i should have but havent kept updated on things. as far as the Iranian issue goes, we need to keep them from getting a nuke at all cost's. if we, or another nation, or the U.N. doesnt convince them not to then the Israelis will, and you know what they will do! if it would come to that point we would be dreaming of $3 a gallon.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think our government is gonna do anything, they all have interest in foreign oil, and they want us to remain dependent on it.