What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fishinpals, Jul 5, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We held a fishing derby yesterday and one boy caught a channel (?) that would probably go around 2 pounds The fish was very, very, dark. Almost black. What do you think? Have picture but may be hard to see fish. The boy is hugging it. Biggest fish he has ever caught.

DSMFD - July 4, 2006 (74747474) (500 x 375).jpg

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kinda hard to tell, but maybe a black bullhead?

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Thats what i was thinking too.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Looks like a channel to me. I have caught two channels that were dark black like that, one two years ago and one last year. May have something to do with the type of structure they live in. Both mine were caught in the Pee Dee river in NC.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hard to tell, possibly a bull head, but I have caught a few channels that were dark, but not that dark.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thought that also but when I saw the tail it didn't seem to be a bullhead tail. Do spawning channels ever turn black?

7. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I would say it is a bullhead. But I suppose it could be a dark channel cat. I've never seen one that dark before though.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It was a channel cat, the shape of the head and the tail are dead give-aways. I have caught them that dark in ponds and lakes before.

9. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The fish is clearly a channel. None of the common bullhead species have a tail that is even close to being that strongly forked. The tail of a bullhead is 'mostly' flat with only a very slight dip or fork in the middle. Channels in some environments (or at certain times of the year) are dark like that one.

Ralph

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Channel, the ones out of grandpa's pond used to be just as dark. Never knew why but they were. Glad you got to take some kids out.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jim,i agree with them dark channel.

12. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thanks guys. Wasn't sure but thought along the lines of a channel. The boy did return it. The lake is a small one, 27 acres and has a lot of channels and this is the first dark one I've seen. Seen them up to 20 pounds there. Haven't caught one that big myself, YET.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ahh... I didn't catch the tail. Looked like his shirt to me. Yeah... Sometimes I am still blind.