What do you think??

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by KWSMITH, Jun 30, 2006.

1. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if Im the only one who will throw a line out set my pole on its holder and wait on the bank for hours on end for a fish to take the bait. Went fishing recently with a friend on a local lake from the shore and he was changing spots every 10 minutes or so and he was getting very frustrated at himself he didnt catch a thing all day.
    Granted I didnt do much better but staying in one spot helped me to land 3 fish 2 small cats and a smallmouth bass.:cool2:

2. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    It depends on your confidence level of the spot, and your patience level. I have never been patient enough to stick to one spot for more that 30 to 40 minutes without a bite. It also depends on the time of day. Low light they will be cruising more, so therefore I might stay put longer. Ten minutes is possibly not giving a spot enough time.

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have sat for as long as 7 hrs without a bite. but hey i didnt care, killed alot of bull though...

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I usually just stay in one spot. But, then again I usually just go for two or three hours at a time anyway.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I sit and wait when Im shore fishing. If Im fishing cats from a boat I'll make several difts over an area before I move on (after 20 min). I also have a 2nd rod rigged for crappie and other fish so im usually (God willing) into something eventually. Where I usually fish, if you find the crappies you find the channel cats.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I usually sit until I leave. I figure the fish got to move sooner or later. But I fish for channels 90% of the time.

If I am flathead fishing then I will move spots every now and then.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I'm bank fishing for channels I give it about 30 minutes and then cast closer or further out to try and change depth. I cast a semi circle around where I'm fishing because the river I fish is strewn with big rocks and sometimes it's a matter of the bait falling where a fish can't get to it.
    If I'm Flatheadin', I will leave the bait much longer and wait for one to come by. I've soaked a bait for three hours without a hit and then for the next three hours they will hit like crazy.

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    im always recasting my line every ten minutes or so if im not getting any responce from the fish.. gotta cover the ground you fish.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It sounds to me like as he was busy trying to enjoy fish you were enjoying fishing. Big difference in frame of mind. You win.

10. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ken, you are not alone. I do the same thing. Last week I fished with live bluegill from 8PM to 5 AM without a single bite. I assumed the flatheads are on the spawn there. The area I fished looked like great opportunity, but I came up all the way short. We'll try it again. Good luck!

11. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish in the same spot everytime I go and I am there for hours. Sometimes till the next morning. I try to keep fresh bait out. If I don't catch anything, it is ok. I just enjoy being out there. Hell of alot better than being at work.:cool2: