what do you think

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Dec 18, 2009.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright, Ya know I keep on hearing everyone say find the bait find the fish. I can honestly say i don't understand that quote when it comes to river fishing. Lake fishing for shovel heads at night it makes perfect sense but river fishing i just don't get it and ill tell ya why. for instance, winter time means that blues and large channels are headin deep. Thats where the majority of them are caught that I know of. Anyways, do you really think that there is bait out in screaming current on the bottom in say 50 feet of water?? I don't myself but I want some other opinions. For instance the other day where I got bait there were shad in there so thick it was unbelievable. Just for $hits and giggles I thought about what everyone said find the bait find the fish so i fished the mouth of that creek. NOTHING!! Headed on back out into the river into 45-55 feet of water and started gettin em. I know they gotta eat sometime but I don't agree with the find the bait find the fish theory personally. Lets hear whatchas think about it. If that were the way it was all of us would be fishing in creeks and marinas all the time. And hot water discharges in late winter.

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have to admit I have had the same experience as you. I have tried catching cats where you could see schools of shad breaking the surface everywhere you look. Not one single bite. Then I will fish the middle of the river and catch a monster.

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am just starting to believe that with the Ohio River, you can take what the common tips are and throw them out the window. Now, sometimes normal commonsense things hold, but I know many a times guys on the river do unoconvential things and have success. The Ohio is a big river that goes from being a Lake to being a raging force of nature.....whereas other big Rivers like the Mississippi almost always have current even if its down.....they usually use 16 oz of lead minimum. Things seem to stay a little more consistent out there. The Ohio is always changing and we are always adapting. I have seen bait fish out too....and have caught or market few fish where they are flipping. The only time this may hold true is the spring when the baitfish wind up blocked by the dam and the fish are on a feeding frenzy.....most times of the year I have had little success with this method either....of course Im a rookie so what do I know :smile2:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like there is something else they prefer to eat other than Shad and Skips that also haunts the deep :wink:.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think there after the Mud Puppies!:eek:oooh:

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice pic there. Thanks for posting.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is neat man where did you get that big dude!!? Can those be caught in rivers and streams or just lakes. It looks like your at a lake?? Anyways, I love neat pics like that. Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive caught them off of Africa rd fishing the Alum Creek res. If Im not mistaken thats where that pic was taken

9. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is a huge mudpuppy compared to the ones I used to catch as a kid.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    I think some of it has to do with the time of year. Your not always going to find fish all over schools of Shad, specially since they are a dime a dozen. Those blues and channels aren't going to move out of that deeper water when there is food washing down the river to them. But you can believe they will move to find food when they have too. I am sure that there are probably Shad around where the blues and larger channels are. Just my opinion cause I don't have any experience on the rivers.

I do know that in lakes when the wind is blowing up against the bank it is pushing food for baitfish to the bank which draws in baitfish which draws in larger fish.
    And also most of the time I have done any good on at least bibber fish at the mouth of a creek or even a ditch is whenthe water is flowing fast, it washes down morsels into the mouth where the fish are waiting to eat.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah it was caught out of Alum Creek Res. and yes right off africa road. I think we caught 4 that day!